Can you flush an "open" cow?

Help Support Steer Planet:

canuck36

Can you flush an open (AIed, then ran with the bull for 90 days, came up open at preg checking) cow? Is there a chance she still has viable eggs and can be flushed but just unable to become naturally pregnant? Or would she more than likely have a reproductive issue that would prevent this? If anyone has done this with a cow any info would be appreciated.

leanbeef

Doesn't sound like there's any way of knowing WHY she's open, so it's definitely a red flag. I'd hate to go into an investmest like that with a big question mark in regards to the fertility of the donor. It's kinda like gambling...I wouldn't do it unless I could afford to lose.

C-CROSS

We did it on 2 and had Great luck.  but we had the embrologist ultra sound them first.

frostback

It gets done all the time. There are no guarantees EVER with flushing. Even the "fertile" ones will miss with flushing. Just make sure she has been away from the bull long enough that there is no chance of her being pregnant, and like C said have her ultrasound or at least palpated first.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
tWENTY YEARS AGO IF A GOOD LOOKING COW THAT didn't breed you flushed her ,but back then it seemed like a good idea and we joked about it all the time ...Tell you what the results were ,same results as if she was breed and flushed them later ....Some  were home runs and some weren't ...Have your technian palpate her and see if she is healthy or any problems and it's up to you ....Those good 7-8 year olds that show up open make great flush cows usually  .

frostback

Those older cows should have earned the right to be flushed by then. Not just doing a good looking one and hoping.

Cowboy

There are , of course, a miriad of potential reasons a cow shows up OPEN. Believe it or not, MOST of the every day reasons are the small ones, not the huge string of metritis hanging out etc. It may just be HER timing was wrong, or stress (HOT) or a very small amount of low grade infection. Alot of things.

The best way to find out is of course to go and try to flush her. Make certain she is in fact open. Bring her in and infuse her with a good intra-uterin infusion product (I use Bio-Mycin C), wait for her to have a NATURAL heat. Set up her sequence on that heat -=-most of these work out real well. If there are tons of scar tissue in there, it gets less productive.

Give her a try -- if she has proven herself, the cost is small compared to the possible benefits later. I'd bet ya she breeds after you flush her too -- most of them will!

Terry

knabe

done it a few times.  some might say even if she can't carry the calf to term, getting her pregnant might help with flushing.