can you give a steer to much probias and why?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DB

Good morning to everyone.  Someone told me that we should try and give our steers some probias about every 4 or 5 weeks just to make sure that the stomach continues to work right.  I was wondering if anyone else does this and if so how often do you give it???? I have done this with a steer that went off feed and it put him back on track.  That was the main reason they said we should do this is just to keep them going on feed. Thanks for any input on this topic.

Earthmover

Used it religously when showing steers, just got the stuff from TSC and gave 1 scoop twice a week. It really does work, some feeds have it mixed in but you really can't over due it.

Bradenh

yeah you cant really over do it as long as you keep some logic in it. i mean too much of anything is bad. but a little common sense is all you need to keep from going overboard

kvhranch

Keep in mind this is only our second year of steers.  But I have always feed my horses Optizyme and last year we gave it to the steer also.  It's a daily probias and he did great.  When I would miss a few days, his cow pies would get very loose and runny.  But as long as he was on it, all was good in the manure department.  And we never had any tummy or bloat issues.  Now that may have just been beginners luck.

chambero

Most brand name feeds already have microbials added to them.  If you are feeding that kind of feed, I wouldn't mess with the Priobios until you really need it.

aggiegal

Been showing steers and heifers 6 years and never had one go off feed (even a young heifer with pneumonia).  We use a daily probiotic called Progest 30.  We also give VitaCharge (probios) daily, starting 5 days out from the show and daily while we are hauling and showing.  Not sure if this is what has done it for us...or if it is just sticking to a rigid feeding schedule and being consistent, but we don't feed without it.  It's probably the cheapest investment we've made as far as supplements go and a 50# bag lasts forever, even with a lot of calves.  Have used the product called Probios in a blue/white tube in the past with hogs and occassionaly with calves too if we can't get VitaCharge paste.

afhm

Can't over feed it.  We always feed them the powder once a day and the gel during times of stress of when they have done off feed.