Can you guess when I was competitive judging?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

By the clues in this paragraph, can you guess when I was judging?

Irish Shorthorns? never heard of them. Bought 10 units of Cunia today for $50. Have some ampules of Leader 21 that I'd give away if anybody wants them. Saw my first "gooseneck" trailer last week.

Guess, then give us some clues from your era.

red

Elbee, you & I must be roughly the same age, LOL
The gooseneck was first around in the 70's & Cunia came around the same time- so I would put you judging in the mid 70's.
close?
Red

justme

I was on the judging team when KK Freeeway was on the David Letterman show....not as old as Elbee but I've seen the change of cattle lol

cowz

Jason said:
O0

I have no clue, I wasn't born until the 80's.

Doggone Kids!!!!!!!!!!  We wish we were born in the 80's!!

cowz

The kind of cattle we saw in high school livestock judging could never be described as DEEP or as having SPRING OF RIB.  In fact there was more daylight between the ground and their chest floor than you could believe.  Judging pigs was a contest to see which one was longer, leaner and harder.

I am relieved we are now back to some easy fleshing, more realistic, producing critters !!

Another clue to the golden oldies is if you used "Foresaddle and Hindsaddle" to describe a loin on a lamb!

Excuse me, I think it's time for my Geritol!

DL

ELBEE - I didn't have cattle "back in the day" - remember I am from Buffalo (and we do have the #1 hockey team in North America - go Sabres) but based on a little detective work including a picture of you ( ;D) - I am guessing you graduated from high school in the 60's.

That doesn't directly answer your question, but I was driving a Sprite and the good thing about them was they were so light and little 2 friends could get you out of a BFLO snowbank! Basically the last car I ever owned!

(If I over estimated your age blame in on poor vision from aging!)  (cow)

red

Well, Elbee- were we close?
I was in 4-h in the 70's I can still remember the first person in our county that got Simentals. They were considered so exotic back then. Everyone had black cattle & these were just bizzare! Funny how times change, now the simmi's are balck too. lol!

Red

genes

Apparently the occasional Holstein hereford cross would produce some weird patchy red ans white, big boned, big framed calves.  I guess from having a few milk cows in with the beef, my Dad would see it happen on the farm in his younger days.  Well, hit the  late 60s or 70's and people saw them and started offering money for them because they thought he has some simmentals  ;D 

I never thought of goosenecks not being around before...but I guess it makes sense.  Wow.

garybob

When in doubt, frame 'em out'' was  the most common rule of thumb in the late eighties. First time I ever went  anywhere farther than Little Rock, or Springfield (MO), was to Louisville for the National 4H Livestock Judging contest.

ELBEE

Been in Wichita KS at the Eqifest, if every you feel out of touch with reality as a cattle person, just go to a horse event. Saw a truck and trailer on display that cost $276,000 and only hauled 3 horses.
Anyway Lacey\showcattlegirl hit me right. I've seen this cattle thing come almost full circle, and I'd like to think I know where we're headed.

red

Wow, she put an actual year down too! Were you judging as an offical judge or in 4-H/FFA or college?
Thanks for the memories.
Go to the Quarter Horse Congress if you want to see high $ trailers!

Red

showcattlegal

I just guessed. We still have a 1978 model gooseneck trailer,  (lol) so i figured it had to be after that. That was also the year my mom graduated high school.

Lacey

ELBEE

red said:
Wow, she put an actual year down too! Were you judging as an official judge or in 4-H/FFA or college?
Thanks for the memories.
Go to the Quarter Horse Congress if you want to see high $ trailers!

Red
No, just high school, my study ethics weren't conducive of college level. (Like those college level terms? thank God for spell check.)  Our county team did place well at state level though.

red

Then you & I are about the sale age. I graduated in 76. Uh OH, told my age! :))) O0

little old Red

AAOK

WOW!  Talk about out of touch.  :eek:  I feel like a newby because of this post.  :)))  I saw my first cattle show in 1981.  I still didn't know at that time about other species.  My kids started showing in 1990, which is the year I was introduced to livestock Judging.  I witnesses my first Judging contest in 1992 at the Maine-Anjou National Junior Show in Denton, TX, and decided to enter the Adult Division at the 1995 AJMAA show in Des Moines, IA.  In 1997 I placed 1st in the Adult contest at out County Show; three species, cattle, pigs, and lambs.  I retired at the top.  (clapping) (lol)

genes

So I guess if I really think back, my first judging I can remember is when us 6 or 7 year old pee wees were sitting in the corner of the ring while big kids did their thing, the judge came and asked us what we thought.  ;D  I bet they all seemed awfully tall then :)  My first steer was actually pretty moderate I think (but I guess so was I).

Red I would love to go to Congress, but it wouldn't be the trailers I would be looking at.

DL

Went to the Great Lakes International Draft horse deal this year - on the east side of the road were the guys involved in pulling plows etc on the right side of the road were the hitches....the announcer was talking about cost

minimum 15K per harness per horse, can go much higher
at least 50K for the wagon, custom made, more likely 100K
horses - for the 8 hitch (and you need a couple spares) begin at 25K
then you need a semi
then you need a trailer
then you need a team of people to groom, train, feed, exercise, braid (or whatever), shoe,  etc horses and clean tack

the Budweiser Clydes have 4 locations and 2 breeding farms (I think)
they have several horses whose only job is to pose for pictures with visitors
and several whose only job is to be horse actors.....
all the horse workers are required to have a CDL

that is a real different world! (but it was fun to watch the hitches, although I liked the 4 mule hitch best, more blue collar) (cow)