Can you over show cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Showgirl33

I was just wondering if you can over show cattle? I've heard some people say that you can, while others say it doesn't really matter...what's your opinion?

twistedhshowstock

I think it really all depends on the calf and how well it takes to traveling.  If they take to it and do well on the road, then I think you are ok with truckin on with them.  However some of them just always seem to be a little nervous on the road and go off feed a little when away from home.  I think you will eventually hurt those calves' performance and make them stale if you keep them in the road going to a show all the time.

J

JTM

Absolutely. The main concern is with heifers because stress can cause them to abort, fat can cause them to not breed, and fat can cause permanent damage to their udders.

chiangus

You can always get an extra nervous one but you know from the very start.  We had ones that were completely fine and shows and we showed them quite a bit. 

More than anything the preparation before you even think about going to show lays the foundation.

Showgirl33

Is it good on the hair? I mean if your constantly jackpotting the cattle and trimming the hair is there a point at which you should stop showing them?

kfacres

Showgirl33 said:
Is it good on the hair? I mean if your constantly jackpotting the cattle and trimming the hair is there a point at which you should stop showing them?

not as importantely as the point in time you need to stop trimming on them...

Back when we used to show, we'd start in may, and quit when school came to in the fall.  This would entitle 20-30 shows (county fairs, 3 state fairs, and 2 national shows.  We would come home every 2 weeks to pick up a new batch of feed, and trade our youngest out to not stress them  By state fair time, most of the older stock would be getting worn out, and tired you could tell in the ring.  The attitudes would change slightly.  At the end of the summer, the animals and myself would be ready to go home, and get ready for winter....  to start again the next summer. 

We used to drag around 100 head of sheep, and 12 of shorthorns to nearly every show. 

AAOK

My thought is NO, you CAN NOT overshow a calf.  However, I do believe that many families do not do a good job of handling calves, whether at home, on the road, or at a Show.  This can, and will cause problems.  A classic example of improper care is unloading a calf from the trailer head first.  How many times have you seen a calf jump out onto slick asphalt and do a spread eagle landing?  When backing out a calf, I have never witnessed a problem.

With great care at home, and on the road, I can't forsee a reason why traveling would have a negative affect.  Pictured below is a former show heifer of ours at her 44th, and last show.  She was 24 months old, heavy bred, and was on the road from South Texas to South Dakota from 6 months old.  One month later, she was fat, calved unassisted, and milked great, and has a calf every year at 14yrs. 

kalli5.jpg

creativecattle

AAOK said:
My thought is NO, you CAN NOT overshow a calf.  However, I do believe that many families do not do a good job of handling calves, whether at home, on the road, or at a Show.  This can, and will cause problems.  A classic example of improper care is unloading a calf from the trailer head first.  How many times have you seen a calf jump out onto slick asphalt and do a spread eagle landing?  When backing out a calf, I have never witnessed a problem.

With great care at home, and on the road, I can't forsee a reason why traveling would have a negative affect.  Pictured below is a former show heifer of ours at her 44th, and last show.  She was 24 months old, heavy bred, and was on the road from South Texas to South Dakota from 6 months old.   One month later, she was fat, calved unassisted, and milked great, and has a calf every year at 14yrs. 

Thanks for the comment about backing out calves. I have shown for a really long time and have never thought of this. I guess it proves you are never too old to learn something new.

kalli5.jpg