Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

(dog) No, this isn't what you probably think it's about. It is actually about an old dog.
If all you remember my problems w/ my blue heeler, Poolie & cats. Well, now I have a barn kitten that someone dropped off. I've been hiding her from Poolie for about a month. Well, lately she has found the dog & she is in love. The stupid kitten goes out of her way to be w/ the dog. So far, he has been very good. The kitten rubs up on him, jumps on him, plays w/ his tail & everything. She even follows him out into the cow's lot.
Do you think he can break the cycle? Any suggestions or advice? I praise him all the time for being a good dog. I also try to pet him as much as possible when around the kitten.
As you can see, she loves her doggie! Help!

Red (dog) (dog) (dog)

Attachments

• 100_1571.jpg
    100_1571.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 419

Jill

It can be done, but isn't likely.  We have found with our dogs, they do really good by themselves, but when 2 of them get together, the cat is dead.  Sorry

knabe

if the cat is part of you, the dog will leave it alone.  reinforce this like no tomorrow.  i hope jeff can offer something here.  lovy dovy mixed with a few growls and neck push downs like momma would to make a clear demarcation zone is what the dog will understand.  dogs are triggered by run, and somehow cats learn this and will act just like that cat is acting.  this is why i keep the neighbor cats running, so my dogs will chase them chicken eaters off the property.  course the cats eat the squirrels and gophers.  sigh.  off is a good word to learn, and never say the dog's name with the same tone as you say off.  when they are off, immediately reward with good sounding dog name, clear demarcation.  also, never hit a dog, not implying you do, but they NEVER forget.  my dog was beaten, and all you have to do is point, and that tail is between her legs.  you will recognize guilt in a dog when you see the whites of their eyes.

red

only 1 dog here so that helps. Another thing that I think makes a difference is that Poolie's a great ratter. So many cats are the color of rats or dark. This kitten is a calico & has a lot of white on her. I think he can see clearly that she is not a rat. Also I'm doing like you suggested Knabe & am being very careful what I say & do around him & her. Another thing I have found is that you never scold an animal around Poolie. He thinks he has to discipline it too. He's even done that w/ the cows if you yell or shout.

Red

garybob

Cute Kitty, What's her name?  I  hope it all turns out for the best.

Why can't we all just get along?LOL!!

GB

red

Here name is Tuffy because she's one tough little kitten. I thought about giving her to someone else but the hubby likes her too much.

Red

dori36

red said:
only 1 dog here so that helps. Another thing that I think makes a difference is that Poolie's a great ratter. So many cats are the color of rats or dark. This kitten is a calico & has a lot of white on her. I think he can see clearly that she is not a rat. Also I'm doing like you suggested Knabe & am being very careful what I say & do around him & her. Another thing I have found is that you never scold an animal around Poolie. He thinks he has to discipline it too. He's even done that w/ the cows if you yell or shout.

Red

It may just work out.  I moved to this little "farmette" in 2003 and brought with me 2 Australian Shepherds - one with an extreme prey drive.  She chases, kills, and asks questions later.  There was a resident tortie kitty here that the former owners had tried to take with them but she kept coming back here.  They asked if I minded if she stayed.  I let them know that I had no problem with her staying but couldn't guarantee that Shiloh wouldn't do her in and that I couldn't watch them every minute.  Well, somehow, "Fifi", the cat, won all the dogs over in a few months.  She is a very wise kitty who doesn't, and didn't, run from Shiloh.  She's just sit there unafraid.  It took all the fun out of the chase for Shiloh!  Now, they're "family".  I hope that's where the cat/dog relationship is heading for you!  Here's Fifi and Shiloh in separate pics!

Attachments

• P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 318
  • Shilohjump7.04.jpg
    Shilohjump7.04.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Shilohagifxedl7.04.jpg
    Shilohagifxedl7.04.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 305