Canada ends search for cattle in mad cow case

Help Support Steer Planet:

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - The search for cattle connected by birth or sources of feed with Canada's latest mad cow case has ended and all tests so far have been negative, officials said on Monday.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said it has tested 12 cattle potentially exposed to the same feed as a six-year-old dairy cow found with the disease last month in British Columbia, and 11 more will be tested shortly.

The 23 cattle were among 146 identified as "feed cohorts" or as offspring of the affected cow, and CFIA said in a statement that "the investigation of animals of interest has been concluded."

Of the 146 cattle, 74 were already dead, 15 had been exported to the United States and 34 were deemed untraceable due to a lack of information.

"Thirty-four untraceable animals out of 146 is not an unusual rate for investigations of this type," CFIA said in a press release.

CFIA said the investigation into the sources of the diseased cows feed sources continues.

The Holstein cow discovered last month was Canada's fifth native-born case of the brain-wasting bovine spongiform encephalopathy disease, but the animal did not enter the human food chain.

austin

I'm glad they have that stuff under control. When i travel to foreign countries, i never take any chances.

linnettejane

maybe a spammer bumped it and their comment was removed
a great opportunity to point out if you see a post that looks suspicious, please report it!  it sends an immediate email to a moderator, where it can be removed.  the help is greatly appreciated!

justintime

If memory serves me right, there have been 18 cases of BSE in Canada since it was originally found. In all cases, not only was the positive cow slaughtered, but the entire herds from where they came from were tested and then slaughtered as welll. I read an article a few days ago that said that in all these herds where a BSE case was found, there was no herd where a second case was found when tested. I think that is an interesting fact.

Latest posts