Canadian Shorthorn people

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I bought three years or so ago some Alta Cedar First Blood semen. shows his EPD's are calving ease. I have not seen that many calves out of him. Any thoughts on what he might work on? Would you use him calving ease?

Okotoks

We only ever had one First Blood that we bought in dam. She was 55 lb BW.,really pretty but never caught up. We did not have an actual breeding date and always felt she might be premature. I think he would be a calving ease sire. There were some really nice heifer calves at the Suddaby Dispersal by him. He should add some easy doing fleshing ability or if you have that already should maintain it. He might be an interesting cross on some of the US show lines as was a very showy animal and did well as a calf, yearling and two year old in the show ring. Like JPJ he brings a cross of TPS Coronet Leader 21st as a grandsire.

OH Breeder

Thank you that was what I was looking for. Was the Suddaby Disperal on line? Like a catalog I could google?
I ahve two shorthorn plus heifers I thought of using him on.

Okotoks

OH Breeder

Okotoks said:
OH Breeder said:
Thank you that was what I was looking for. Was the Suddaby Disperal on line? Like a catalog I could google?
I ahve two shorthorn plus heifers I thought of using him on.

I can't find the catalogue on line but here is a link to Alta Cedar First Blood 5R's page in the Canadian herd book and a link to his progeny.
http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=CAN&_association=21&_regnumberprefix=M&_regnumber=471551&_regnumbersuffix=

I was playing with Google and saw that the Suddaby folks had registered about 90 calves. I couldn't find a picture of them but they register a mess of them. This is one female I saw in sale catalog. I just wondered if she was prettty typical for his offspring.

Attachments

• first blood heifer.jpg
    first blood heifer.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 204

Okotoks

Alta Cedar Susan 1T was out of a bigger Northern Legend 3N daughter that was shown very successfully by Alta Cedar and won some shows with Alta Cedar Susan 1T at foot.
Alta Cedar First Blood 5R should work well on bigger framed heifers. His daughters are very nice fronted.
Below are photos of Alta Cedar Susan 1t's Dam as a heifer calf at Agribition, First Blood and 1T's maternal brother by Alta Cedar Lad 13N

Attachments

• Diamond Razzy Susan 2R.jpg
    Diamond Razzy Susan 2R.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 468
  • Alta Cedar First Blood 5R.jpg
    Alta Cedar First Blood 5R.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Alta Cedar Aladdin  46X.jpg
    Alta Cedar Aladdin 46X.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 215

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
I know Bamberry Shorthorns bought a number of cows at the Suddaby dispersal bred First Blood. They got along very well calving. The calves grew and passed most of their calves. They sold a bull calf to another breeder in the Ottawa Valley and he's using him on bothe cows and heifers.