Canadian shorthorn question

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

I would like some info on 2 older sires STRATHORE IRISH MAGIC and MIAMI FLAG 10G

Okotoks

Miami Flag 10G was a Mandalong Super Flag son out of a dual purpose cow. He sired some beautiful daughters at Winalot as well as some good breeding bulls. His most notable sons were Winalot Big Mac and the two full brothers Winalot Lad 6L and Winalot Myth 1M. Myth is the grandsire of Strathore Irish Magic 1W. A goood breeding son of Irish Magic was the IWF Magic bull that was out of a Winalot Big Mac cow.

DEERPARK LEADER -[US]3710552-  
    DEERPARK LEADER 13TH -M454003-    
       DEERPARK KILDYSART 5TH -[IL]205705-  
  G S IRISH SWEEPSTAKES -M456767-      
        MCKEE'S ROAN BARON -[US]3597713-D  
     MATCHLESS CLIPPER MAID 77 -[US]3656103-    
       PATTERN'S CLIPPER MAID -[US]3417872-  
STRATHORE IRISH MAGIC 1W        
       MIAMI FLAG 10G X-M444949-  
     WINALOT MYTH 1M X-M452663-    
        WINALOT PRIORESS 2E X-F608426-  
  STRATHORE MYSTIC ROSEWOOD -F641802-      
       CRUGGLETON FLASHBACK -M417158-  
    STRATHORE LADY ROSEWOOD 3RD -F625836-    
      STRATHORE LADY ROSEWOOD -F587350-  

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=&_regnumberprefix=M&_regnumber=458174&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=21

Below is Miami Flag's pedigree and a link to his info at CLRC.ca

GUNDIBRI SUPREME 46TH X-[AU]M6301503-  
    ALICE DOWNS SUPREME 27TH X-[AU]M6701524-    
       ALICE DOWNS MARY ANN 2ND X-[AU]F6201936-  
  MANDALONG SUPER FLAG X-M437910-      
        MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT X-M433385-  
     MANDALONG ROANY 20 X-[AU]F6801486-    
       LONE PINE CHERRY 1784TH X-[AU]F6201754-  
MIAMI FLAG 10G        
       PINESEDGE IMPERIAL -M420980-D  
     IMPERIAL PIERRE -M426390-D    
        GRINLEA JUDY 8TH -F568870-D  
  RED PRINCESS JANE 5 -F606644-D      
       GREEN LEAF LEADER 7TH -M404954-D  
    RED PRINCESS JANE 3 -F561661-D    
      RED PRINCESS JANE 2ND -F533560-D  

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=&_regnumberprefix=M&_regnumber=444949&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=21

justintime

I was at Lorne Pimmett's Strathore Farm in Ontario the day that Strathore Irish Magic 1W was  born. He was a very impressive calf and his dam was equally impressive. His dam was a magnificant female. I really don't know what his BW was but he was a good sized calf but he was born unassisted. I arrived there a just after he was born and he was still wet but he was nursing his mother. I was so impressed with him that I tried to get Lorne to price him, and I have never tried to buy a day old calf before or since. Irish Magic had tremendous thickness even at that young age and he definitely developed into a sire that added muscling to his offspring. Some breeders felt he added too much muscle to some of his calves and made them a little coarser made. This may have been true in some instances, however, some of the better animals today, have him in their background  IMO.

Miami Flag 10G was bred in the good herd of the late Rod McKenzie ( Rod was an uncle of Bryan McKenzie of Brylor Red Angus). Rod was a great breeder, and he was one of the first who went to Ontario and purchased some dual purpose Shorthorn cows  to use with some of the best beef sires of the time. He purchased the dam of 10G from the herd of Fergus Lannin in Ontario. I visited this herd several times during the 7os and early 80s and I can still remember looking at these massive thick made cows that were super smooth with great udders. This was a tremendous set of females and Rod got some of the best for his herd. At that time, there were many dual herds still raising the true dual purpose cattle, that were bigger framed than the beef cattle of the day, and they were also thick with tremendous bodies. On my first trip to Ontario to look at some dual purpose cows, I went hoping to find one or two cows that I could add to my herd. I travelled to several herds in Ontario, and by the time I was done my 3 day trip I had purchased 28 head.Most of the cows I bought were in the $250-$300 price range, but I did have to pay $1000 for a couple spectacular cows. Most of these cows would have been shipped to market if I had not purchased them, and most of them had just comlpleted one or two lactations and they didn't have enough milk to make great cows for the dairy, but they were great for a beef operation.  Many of these cows were the cows that were the lower milk producers but they were also the thickest made and easiest fleshing. I was able to get 4 cows from the Lannin herd, and they were tremendous . They held condition extremely well when they made the conversion from the milk parlour to the pasture with a calf on them all summer. One of these cows had her last calf in our herd when she was 20 years old, and she never had any special treatment. I doubt if you could have killed her with an axe!  

Miami Flag 10G bred very well in the Winalot herd of Milton Hennig, Andre, AB. He was  probably a bull ahead of his time, as his offspring would be popular today.

sue

stick said:
I would like some info on 2 older sires STRATHORE IRISH MAGIC and MIAMI FLAG 10G

K-kim used a son and national champion  of magic- call them
or if you can dig up Iceway farms  owners - ask how it went?
Current breeders that used a son of magic would be barry jordan or waukauru

Miami flag- if memory is correct the maternal dam of shadybrook scotty is miami flag. I did see this female in 2005- at least a ton in on pasture. deep - not the best udder but she was alive .

aj

During prohibition.........Canada still made liquor for export to the USA...........that still ticks me off..........who do the think they were?

stick

Thanks for the help. This isn't the same topic but in going through extended pedigrees of Canadian Shorthorns a lot of times cattle with the Bodmin prefix show up. Grant or Dan could you give a history lesson on this herd?

Okotoks

stick said:
Thanks for the help. This isn't the same topic but in going through extended pedigrees of Canadian Shorthorns a lot of times cattle with the Bodmin prefix show up. Grant or Dan could you give a history lesson on this herd?
Well this is a bit of a cheat but I will answer the question with an article Grant wrote in the Shorthorn Report. I found it while searching for some history. I think the Bodmin herd is maintained by George but Grant could confirm that.
I saw the Bodmin herd in about 1987 and was so impressed with the functional cows with great feet, udders and easy fleshing ability. At the time Greenrow Lodestar 26L was a senior herd sire and I really liked him a lot. When we bought Bodmin H M Alberta Mark 71A it was partly because he was out of a 26L daughter. 71A was by Hallmark a bull Bodmin used for a few seasons.

Attachments

• Procter Farms Ltd.pdf
    169.5 KB · Views: 384