CANADIANS!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

So I know there are a few on here.  Where is everyone from and what is your operation all about?

I am from East Central Saskatchewan and have about 15 head of RA and RAx cows.  Most were 4-H projects that Dad let me keep, and I purchased a couple purebreds over the years as well.  In June I plan on A.I.ing about 5 head to Ebonys Trademark (simmy) to bulk the little RA cows up, add some structure, bone, and frame.  The resulting heifers will then become either recipiant cows or club calf mamas.  I will keep breeding my RA's to a simmy to add more to them, and then breed the simmyxangus to clubby bulls.  Sunseeker is my choice.  In two years I should be able to make it to the CWA show with some prospects. 

GLZ

Trademark calves just absolutely tore up the Simmy sales this past winter.  He throws some very fancy heifers.

C-CROSS

From South Dakota, we run about 250 cows, play in the club calves.  We have shorthorns, Simmi, maine, andgus and now a few Char that our daughter has decided she like to show.  We try to keep the females of a simmixangus base and then breed club calves as not to lose the maternal value and then what doesn't sell we put in a feed yard and feed out.

justintime

Hi Bawndoh,
nice to hear from another Canuck! There are more than a few of us on here. I live in SE SK . I have a straight cattle operation. Mostly Shorthorn cows but also about 30 Angus and Angus X and maybe another 25 Shorthorn X Angus cross cows.

worthabit

I am from Prince Edward Island way out on the east coast. We are a mixed family farm growing potatoes, soybeans grains, and a little asparagus. We have 25 purebred angus cows, 30 angus cross cows and a small feedlot. Good to hear from you all. Our website is www.dixonfarms.ca.

Bawndoh

MMM asparagus!  Does it take something like 3 years for it to establish?  I wanted to put some in the garden but I knew we were moving that fall.

red

I love asparagus! I have a plot & it take about 2 years to get it established. I kepp adding new plants every couple of years. To me that's a true sign of Spring!

Red  (clapping)

red

well drained soil. I use a raised bed for mine. Mulch in the winter, remove it once the weather starts warimg up. We add composted cattle manure ( got plenty of that!) every year or so. The worst part is keeping the weeds out. I've put straw down between the rows to help.

Red

itk

This might be the best highjacking of a thread ever. Canadian cattle breeders to asparagus. ADD anyone?

red

itk said:
This might be the best highjacking of a thread ever. Canadian cattle breeders to asparagus. ADD anyone?

(lol) We are a weird bunch that's for sure!!!!!

Red

coyote

Hi I am from SW Sask . I like asparagus and really like pickled asparagus in a Caesar, but i find my urine smells after eating it. I googled that subject and found the following on a web site; :)

Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,

My boyfriend's urine smelled awful after eating asparagus. We both ate the same meal, but my urine was fine. My boyfriend says that everyone's urine smells after eating asparagus, and since mine doesn't, then I'm the strange one, not him. No one in my family has ever had urine odor from eating anything. Is he right, or might he have a problem?

Signed,

Worried

Dear Worried,

There is nothing wrong with your boyfriend. Not everyone has smelly urine shortly after eating asparagus, but many do. About half of the population will notice this odor after eating asparagus because of the sulfur-containing amino acids which break down after ingestion (see details below).

The Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board at www.asparagus.org considers asparagus to be one of the most nutritionally well-balanced vegetables, supplying significant nutrients and fiber for a healthy diet. For asparagus nutrition information, see www.asparagus.org

DETAILS: Why eating asparagus causes one's urine to have a strong, unique odor

As archived in the Boston Globe at www.boston.com, below are more details about why asparagus causes urine to have a unique odor:

Asparagus is filled with sulfur-containing amino acids that break down during digestion into six sulfur-containing compounds. These can impart a unique smell to urine as they are excreted. "It's the same sulfur group that makes skunks smell," said Barbara Hodges, a dietician with Boston University's nutrition clinic, the Evans Nutrition Group.

Scientists remain divided on why people have different urinary responses to eating asparagus. One camp thinks only about half of the population have a gene enabling us to break down the sulfurous amino acids in asparagus into their smellier components. Others think that everyone digests asparagus the same way, but only about half of us have a gene that enables us to smell the specific compounds formed in the digestion of asparagus.

"There's something of a dispute," said Dr. David Stollar, chairman of biochemistry at Tufts University Medical School.

The unusual smells are nothing to worry about, though. According to the Dictionary of Medical Syndromes, which includes an entry on the urinary excretion of odoriferous components of asparagus: "The syndrome does not have any pathological significance."

(www.boston.com/globe/search/stories/health/how_and_why/060694.htm)

red

now that is some interesting triva! Are you related to Knabe? Actually, I have the same problem but like it too well to let it bother me!  ;D

Red

itk

Happy cooking  http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/asparagus/search.do?searchString=asparagus&site=food&searchType=Recipe

red

I just steam mine & add a little kosher salt & real butter. Yummy beyond belief.

Red

worthabit

I am always surprised when i mention asparagus how many people love it! I never thought that it would "steer" this thread this way!

As for growing conditions, it really likes an alkaline soil  (high ph) and lighter soils are better because if the soil cakes and hardens, the spears will bend as they come up.

The expedition bull came from Saskatchewan. Some of you probably know Barry Young and his family. We thought that adding the limited edition line would add some size, however, his calves are thick and heavy but a little small on frame. He will be for sale this fall!

uluru

Back to the subject of this thread.
I am Canadian
I live in Oakville, Ontario,a bedroom community to Toronto and I spend most of the winter months in Florida.
I have no farm and board all my cattle.

I have cattle boarded in Ontario and in Saskatchewan, most are in Sask.
They are at my cousin's farm, Mcbeth Shorthorns  www.mcbethshorthorns.com
I have about 20 purebred Shorthorn cows, interest in a couple of bulls, a number of heifer calves and 
and a number of bulls for sale.
See our catalogue Sun Country Shorthorn Bull Sale www.ulurushorthorns.com

This is an investment and second career interst for me and I really enjoy the good people in the Shorthorn breed
and all the great people on this site.
I have another web site you may find of interest www.shorthorns.ca

Bob

red

thanks Uluru for getting us back on track! We had a guy named Clippity Clop that designed webpages for people in Canada. Very interesting guy!

Genes are resident college expert is also from Canada but she's been too swamped to visit much.

Red

uluru

Hi Red

Clippity Clop does my web sites.

He has done good work for me.
Very reasonable and extremely responsive to changes, etc.