cant breed.

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl2232

I've got 2 cows I can't get bred. One is a 3 year old shorthorn. We've bred her a few times and we can't seem to get her to stick. Her heat cycles seem fairly regular is there something we should do? There are no clean up bulls around here we can really use. I also have an old cross cow we cannot get bred. She's had multiple calves before, but the past two years no luck. What should I do?

BadgerFan

dig a little deeper in the tank, pull out some older semen and breed early and often- two, three, four times.  With the first breeding give a dose of GnRH.  If that doesn't work, you could find a herd bull, but I'd find a more fertile cow.

showgirl2232

The only reason we keep trying is because she's my youngest daughters favorite heifer. She's our only shorthorn we bought just to get some steers.

DakotaCow

I hate to say it but there are some lessons that need to be learned the hard way. We all have been attached to a particular calf or cow that needs to take the final trailer ride and you have to decide between losing money or cutting your losses and losing her. In the end it is your choice however I would recommend letting this one go.

ploughshare

Reproductive inefficiency is the number one reason to sell a cow.  Open cows cost money.  Considering the time of year you are looking at Late spring -early summer born calves.  Its getting late in the breeding season for late summer show calves and early for fall calves.

I have noticed a lot of discussion about breeding problems this year.  I suspect too much mold in stored feed and overly wet conditions or heat stress  this year provided the cows are in good condition and on a good mineral program.  I have used both Vitaferm Conceptaide and Nutrena Onyx with great results.

I will assume that heat checking and AI procedures are correct.

lightnin4

Culling is the economical answer, but if you really want to keep her and get her bred there are some things you can do.  I would get her checked by a vet for ovarian cysts.  They can cause her to cycle and not breed.  If she has one, lutalyse will sometimes get rid of them.  Also, try a shot of Multimin.  If she is mineral deficient, it can certainly effect reproduction.  Then try a shot of GnRH when you breed her.  Good Luck 

sue

I'm going to agree with Glenn story on this one.

Show Heifer

Looks like you have two choices: Shed your tears (honestly, I have done this) and sell them. If you are trying to build a herd these are the genetics you DO NOT want.
Or resign yourself to the fact that they are pets.

flacowman

I'm afraid I have to agree with show heifer...I've done it too but sometimes it's the only way  :-\

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

what no clean up bulls, someone has to have a service bull in your area. Get them in with a bull, if that doesnt work then sell the cows. Are these the only cows that havent bred? Is you supply of straws in good condition? Is your AI person telling you of any issues in the uterus? lots of questions but since you are two years into this make sure you make the right choice.

showgirl2232

The only bull we've got within 100 miles is a brown swiss bull. But when we rebreed her we know she's not bred we've been getting her blood tested

CAB

showgirl2232 said:
The only bull we've got within 100 miles is a brown swiss bull. But when we rebreed her we know she's not bred we've been getting her blood tested

What part of the country are you from? I guess there are advantages of having the neighbor's bull close & handy.

garybob

showgirl2232 said:
The most awesome-looking set of mama cows I ever saw were half swiss. Just a thought.

GB

LN

I personally would sell the problem cows. My number one rule is never fall in love with a cow, I try to see them as employees, if they're not doing their job...fired. A few months ago I had to ship my favorite two show heifers because they didn't get bred....was sad about it, but oh well.

rackranch

Has the person doing your AI work mentioned any concerns with pelvic fat or the fact that she may be to fat??? Also, I would follow the recomendation to take her to a vet and have him perform an ultrasound to ensure all the parts are in the right places... If your goal was to use her to produce show calves then taking her to the sell barn may be your best option....Walker