Capiche

Help Support Steer Planet:

thunderdownunder

I know others have asked about this bull, but I was wondering if there's any calves on the ground yet? He has just been brought out to Aus so it would be interesting to see what he's done so far.

I saw quite a few of the Proud Jazz calves in Denver this year, which was interesting.

Also, does anyone have an accurate, recent frame score measurement on Capiche? Carcase data would be useful too, ie raw rib eye and fat scans.

trevorgreycattleco

Good question. Select Sires catalog only gives a yearly frame score of 5. Does say he scanned 1.54 REA/ cwt at Denver. Not alot of info on him yet from them. Someone should have had some calves out of him by now. Hope he does well for Select. He looks like a easy keeper to me. He seems like he could make a pretty profitable steer when crossed on the angus (red or black).  Maybe someone has some pics of calves on here.

justintime

I have not heard of many Capiche calves yet, but what I have heard is that there have been some big BWs so far. I heard of a couple of 115 -120 lb calves a few weeks ago, and I received an email from another person two days ago who reported he had just got his first Capiche calf, a heifer that weighed in at 115 lbs. There may have been some smaller ones, but as usual the big ones get the publicity. Even with these reports, I would suggest he may not be a great choice for heifers.... at least until he is proven further.

trevorgreycattleco

guess the CED of +5.8 and BW of -2.3 are going to change lol. Where is the BW coming from???? Does he go back to Eagle 255 on the dams side? Mat. grandsire is CCS MIssion, don't know much on him either. I know 255 will sire some bigger BW's

MIM

Call Brain House @ Select Sires.  He has reports from across the country.  Capiche was used heavy in commercial herds in SD, WY, and NE in heifer projects with no calving issues.  He will see heavy use in that area again this spring.  Some of those herds experienced an occasional colored calf, mostly in Red cattle that had Simmental in their backgrouind.  Will he prove to be a heifer safe bull in the Shorthorn breed?  Any bull that can do that is a rarity and Capiche probably has as good a chance as any.  CCS Mission M40 had an actual BW of 66 lbs.  No 255 in the pedigree.  A few big calves will not have a significant impact on his EPD's.  Remember, there are numerous other variables that impact actual bw. 

trevorgreycattleco

Thanks MIM. Thats good to here he is being used again. I agree with you on the bw deal. It just seems like everytime a shorthorn bull gets a look a bw issue comes up. Not always but it seems like it happens alot. I have thought about using him on some black angus but am waiting to see how he proves out.

sue

CAPICHE has broke about every record @ Select Sires he has shown profit in the very year he was purchased?
If you are a Shorthorn Breeder and want to throw this long overdue accomplishment under the bus ??? I think you're in denial about the real calving issues within SH X SH
Folks this is a parade for SH and based on my conversasion with House in Denver it may be just the beginning.  Glad to see he is going DOWN UNDER (clapping)
Byland Mission ( Maternal grand sire of Capiche) I recently visited Cagwins (owner of Mission) he would love to purchase daughters of Mission ! I think this would be the rest of the Capiche story folks!

justintime

Personally, Capiche was my pick of the JPJ bulls in Denver when Select Sires purchased him. IMO, he was the most complete bull in the pen. I  doubt if there is a bigger fan of Byland Mission than I am and I agree with Sue, in that the Mission daughters at Cagwin's are what real cows are supposed to look like. Don C says that the Mission daughters are probably the best set of females ever to walk on his farm, and I would agree with him on that.

I was not trying to trash Capiche, in my previous comment, as I do like the bull. I just wanted to mention that there have been reports of a few bigger calves born, which is enough for me to say that he may not be the answer for heifers until he is proven a little more. I hope he does prove to be a better calving bull that these early reports I have received. He is now available in Canada and I was going to flush to him. After the reports I have had, I am now going to wait until I see and hear more.

aj

If your cattle have big birth weights in their backgrounds they are going to have big calves. You can't reduce birthweights in one generation. You have to try. If you breed a cow that had a 140# birth weight she will have big calves even if you breed her to a longhorn bull. I haven't heard anything about Capiche calves yet but hearing rumours of big birth weights out of him seems to be pretty anedotal evidence.

Wisrose

Here is a picture of our Capiche bull calf (middle one). He weighed over 100#'s out of a heifer. Very hard pull. He's growing nice though
DSC02800.jpg

Wisrose

We bought her as a yearling. Her sire is Oakview Trump Card. Her # is x4148810. She's our only Shortie. Took three weeks of tying her up before she took her calf ::).

Will

I have an old seville cow.  I have kept a couple doughters out of her, with her and her daughters I could ruin any bull and not tell a lie.  They would have a 120# plus calf if you bred them to a miniture long horn.

oakview

We raised Oakview Trump Card and sold he and his mother as a pair to Regan Bowman.  Trump Card himself was an 80 pound calf, born in May from a first calf heifer that was not 2 until August.  Slight assistance was required.  His mother goes back to Powerplant.  The only calf we had out of Trump Card was an 80 pound heifer calf, born unassisted, out of a first calf daughter of Suds from a Cunia daughter.  Most of the people in Iowa that I know that have used Trump Card like to use him on first calf heifers.  It just may not work every time, every place.  Two years ago I bought a son of Rider 844 with a negative birth EPD and a long history of very low or negative BEPDs on the dam's side.  He was a 72 pound calf born unassisted from a first calf heifer.  He was bred to a wide assortment of females, a couple of friends even bred heifers to him.  After the 2nd C-section from the first 5 calves, he was hauled to the sale barn before he could breed any more.  Sometimes you do all the homework you can do and it just doesn't work.

Davis Shorthorns

I for one hope that capiche is the real deal.  A shorthorn bull that is being used in that number on commercial herds will do EVERYONE in the shorthorn breed good.  In a personal note I hope that he is lower bw I just bred my new heifer to him. 

aj

I remebember the old eagle simmi bull and his full brother(I think mr. clean). One was easy calving and one was harder calving.....who knows?

jnm

I had three Capiche calves this year; the largest was 83 pounds. The 83 pound calf's dam  was out of a bull that I got rid of because I'd pulled too many calves.