capons

Help Support Steer Planet:

spectator

I grew up in a small New England town where the local Grange supported a 4-H capon project for many years. Each kid received 8 young capons, and we raised them to slaughter weight over the summer. In the fall, each 4-Her had to bring back a dressed, frozen bird to be auctioned off.
Can't imagine doing the surgery myself, the experts at the hatchery took care of it. Yes, we lost a bird now and then, usually if infection set in at the incision site. They'd develop an air pocket now and then, and the instruction sheet that came with them always said to use a very sharp lead pencil to puncture the bubble and let the air out. Most were good to go after that.
Capons are hard to find in the stores. I've seen them in Whole Foods at a crazy price, something like $100 for an organic, Amish-raised bird and I'd never pay that much. But they are delicious, chicken at its biggest and best! I'd choose capon over turkey any day.

88AG

Will the Capons still have the comb and wattle characteristics of a normal rooster or do they appear more like a hen?

hamburgman

NO they appear more like hens. 

Never had capons but it would be no different than eating a modern day broiler hen really.  Capons only existed because of the slow growth and if you have ever butchered year old roosters or two years olds as I have done you understand the definition of tough.

CAB

hamburgman said:
NO they appear more like hens. 

Never had capons but it would be no different than eating a modern day broiler hen really.  Capons only existed because of the slow growth and if you have ever butchered year old roosters or two years olds as I have done you understand the definition of tough.

That's why they invented chicken noodle soup!!!
Did the guy state how the best age to do this procedure at?