Carnac

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hoosiers#1

So what does everyone think about the bull Carnac?  We're thinking about breeding some cows to him this spring.

cotullaguy

i have a calf out of him now..it is out of a meyer angus...looks good with good bone...nice hair...was big at birth though but she had it unassisted....i will know more in a few weeks as he is still only a week old...if i were to criticize him, i would like to have him better fronted...but, that could change in time due to the simi....but square and nice otherwise. use on clean fronted cows imo.

Sundy

We got our first Carnac out of a mature cow a couple days ago. The calf weighed 78 pounds out of a mature 1/2 blood Maine cow that normally has big calves and went 283 days. Its is a nice solid black heifer calf, but we did have to help it nurse. The cow did not have trouble because I was their, but it seemed a little dumb. The cow is 9 years old and never had a dumb calf. The calf is good haired and extended out through the neck. However, she does turn out a little more than desired on the front, average bone, and is not overly thick. The cow is phenotypically correct and does not have any structural issues. So I would watch Carnac with the front ends and soundness. I would say at this point we have been more impressed with our My Turn and Sun Seeker calves. JMO

cotullaguy

I also agree with Sundy.  They can be straight in the front as mine is as well a bit.  Not overly thick at birth.  Thus, I will not breed my meyer cow back the same way unless he improves...still a nice calf but out of a very good cow that has raised some very nice ones before.  I am thinking of using Walks Alone if I can get some more intel on him or Walks on Water possibly.