Carpe Diem Bull Calf, Maybe?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bulldaddy

I bought this cow at Tusa's Sale this summer bred to Carpe Diem and due around Sept 15th.  She had this little chunk yesterday and I was real surprised that it was a black baldie.  Cow is Char X Meyer X Cunia.  Was expecting a silver or yellow calf. My experience with char crosses is limited.  The cow would have to have the black gene for the calf to be black, right?

Attachments

• CarpeDiembullcalfX24_082810cropped.jpg
    CarpeDiembullcalfX24_082810cropped.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 662

Okotoks

The cow carries a diluent factor that was not passed on to the calf. To be black the calf has to have one parent carry the black gene and for the diluent not to be passed on by the cow.(she passes on her black gene not the diluent)

frostback

The Gelbvieh breed carriers a diluter gene also. Not all bloodlines but some do so your cow is a carrier and she passed the gene to that calf. It has a black nose right?

Bulldaddy

Steered said:
Was she AI bred or bull bred?  19 days early would raise a flag for me ???

She was AI bred on December 7, 2009.  No clean up bull before then.  I have had several others come early this year.  All were AI bred with no bull exposure.  Even the bull calves are coming early. Maybe the heat has something to do with it. 

CAB

Just talked about fall calves coming earlier than spring calves as far as gestation length is concerned.