carpe diem hereford steer pic what do yall think???

Help Support Steer Planet:

jhumphries

i don't have much experience with herefords how much do good hereford steers bring and do yall think he will classify? also any other thoughts you might have. thanks for looking

Attachments

• 12-29 herf pic 1.jpg
    12-29 herf pic 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 950
  • 12-29 herf pic 2.jpg
    12-29 herf pic 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 940
  • 12-29 herf pic 3.jpg
    12-29 herf pic 3.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 939
  • 12-29 herf pic 4.jpg
    12-29 herf pic 4.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 184

DLD

Nice calf.  What's his birthdate, and how's his mama bred?  Is he horned or polled?  I don't see any issues with that one classifying.

ssr

jhumphries said:
his bd is 9-2 and the cow is a sim/hereford cow
nice calf but what are we trying to show our young people you have just stated that it is not a hereford do the right thing and show the calf for what he is a nice cross

twistedhshowstock

at a lot of the big shows these days the steers dont have to have papers or anything proving that they are full bloods, the rules dont even state that they have to be purebred.  All they have to do in order to show in a specific breed is to meet breed characteristics, I think this one definately meets Hereford breed characteristics.  I think what we are teaching the kids is how to recognize a breed based on the characteristics and traits of the breeds rather than what someone is willing to give you papers saying he is.  It should come as no shock that there are just as many crosses showing with purebred papers as there are showing in the cross show.  I think teaching a kid breed characteristics is very important, I think its something we have largely lost in the projects.  I know from judging shows, even at breed association shows, in showmanship I rarely find kids anymore that can answer breed characteristics anymore.  One question I ask a lot in older, tough showmanship classes is for them to name 1 breed that as a breed characteristic has to be polled.  On the rare occasion that a Sr exhibitor even knows what polled means, they surely cant tell me a breed that has to be polled.  Even the ones showing Angus.

ssr

jhumphries said:
thanks for explaining that to ssr
I have been in the cattle business and in the hereford business all my life and I understand what you are saying but but just because looks like something doesn't make it right to say it is that.In the mid west we have shows that do have to have papers and as a breeder the association does do random dna teating on application's.  I know allot of things go on in the show ring to try to get the purple ribbon and I know that a good one is a good one no matter what color it is that is what we should teach. I am sure that this qusetion goes on in all breeds  good luck in what ever you do with the calf

qbcattle

ssr said:
jhumphries said:
I have been in the cattle business and in the hereford business all my life and I understand what you are saying but but just because looks like something doesn't make it right to say it is that.In the mid west we have shows that do have to have papers and as a breeder the association does do random dna teating on application's.  I know allot of things go on in the show ring to try to get the purple ribbon and I know that a good one is a good one no matter what color it is that is what we should teach. I am sure that this qusetion goes on in all breeds  good luck in what ever you do with the calf

Idk about across the u.s. But in Texas many of the shows classifying qualifications are soley based on if the calf appears to be representative of the particular  breed. And in most cases only have to partially appear like the breed specified. Is it misstated calling it a Hereford class when it is actually a Hereford cross class, possibly, but it is in no way wrong, unethical, or frowned upon in most Texas shows where the rules allow crossbreeding.

carman

when is your sale and what is he priced at pm me when you get a chance

cattleman70

qbcattle said:
ssr said:
jhumphries said:

Idk about across the u.s. But in Texas many of the shows classifying qualifications are soley based on if the calf appears to be representative of the particular  breed. And in most cases only have to partially appear like the breed specified. Is it misstated calling it a Hereford class when it is actually a Hereford cross class, possibly, but it is in no way wrong, unethical, or frowned upon in most Texas shows where the rules allow crossbreeding.
I think everywhere should be like that for steers. Not necessarily heifers because there breeding animals and should represent their breed. But for steers it should be breed characteristics.

tony210

I sent an e-mail regarding your steer, no reply. how do I reach you? Not on steer planet often please check e-mail for my contact info