Carpe Diem on heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

cattlechick

Im going to use Carpe Diem on a couple cows. Also am considering on a hiefer or two. I know he works great on Char. influence, I have a WMWx Ali heifer, her bw was 62, has anyone tried using him in a similar scenerio?
Thanks!

Prom King

Go for it we used him on all of our hefs. this year... the are all sound compleat and pretty profiled .. could us a tick more thickness but the are looking better everyday

nck21

I would be a little hesitant to use him on heifers with Heatseeker in there, but I have never used him so can't say.

cattlechick

I thought the same thing about having the HS in him, but have been told he's been used on heifers. Just didnt know bw's and what exact kind he was used on...

vet tech

I have heard horror stories with use on heifers, and I have heard people with great results. So I guess just flip a coin  ;)

tadpole

I wouldn't.  I'm sure there are people that get along just fine with him.  We had one out of an Alias x WMW hft and it was a super hard pull.  Busted as calf chain in the process and the hfr didn't get up for 8 hours after we finally got the calf out.  Calf weighed 102 on a scale and didn't get up for a day. We finally got the calf up and cow up and they were both doing well.  Then three days later the calf died because of a heart defect.  Like I said some people get along just fine with him but he just didn't work out for us.  Do some research on your hfrs and see what kind of birthweights are in their background.  If they are real crossed up and clubby I would probably try to find a different option but thats just my opinion.

cattlechick

haha, ya, CE for a year! Few make it past that! I know its risky, just wanting to confirm it I guess=-)

steelroom

we had a 108lb heifer calf out of a 6 year old pb shorthorn. big and stout and hairy. Looks like a pb shorthorn. I would not breed him to heifers. 

Latest posts