Case project - kochclubcalves.com

Help Support Steer Planet:

jason

I designed this website for my brother almost 4 years ago.  It is definitely time for a redesign.

I am going to use this thread to document everything from the designing images to the seo work.

I hope this encourages other people to post their projects.

Attached is what the website looks like right now.

Attachments

• kochweb.jpg
    kochweb.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 726

jason

1st Step

Well if I was starting from scratch, the domain name would be of utmost importance, but since I already have a domain name (kochclubcalves.com) it won't be a necessary step for me.

However I will try to provide some info on choosing a domain name.  First of all, they are cheap, very cheap ($7.99 a year).  Most of the time, you purchase your domain and hosting at the same time, but if I am just buying a domain I stick with godaddy.  I do not recommend godaddy for hosting though.  

When choosing your domain, the shorter the sweeter.  You want your customers to be able to remember your name.  Stick to the .com extension, do not use anything else.  It doesn't hurt to have a domain keyword, so instead of kochfarms.com, kochclubcalves.com conveys your ultimate goal of selling club calves.  Search engines do rank keywords in url.

Want to find out if a domain name is taken, or who owns a domain.  Search the whois database

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp

jason

2nd Step.  Hosting

What does a host do?
They store your files on webserver, so you, me, and everyone connected to the internet can view your website.  

How much do they cost?  
Plan to spend about $60 a year on a decent host.

Can I get my hosting for free?  
Yes, but you will also be forced to display an ad for the hosting provider, which you do not want to do.

My hosting provider wants to know if I want a linux or windows server?
It comes down to ultimately what coding language your website will be wrote in.  If you are doing a basic website and just using html, the choice is irrelevant.  However if you will be running a database driven website (yes we will), then the choices come down to if you want to use php or asp.net.  In this instance we will be using php.  I won't go really into the reasons why except to say that our base for our website will be php open source blog called wordpress.

If you need help with choosing a hosting provider, email me and I will put you down the right path.  [email protected]

jason

3rd Step - Deciding the layout of the website.

You can break your website down in sections.  Some sections will be static and will look the same on every page, others will changes depending the particular page.

Header - your logo
Main Navigation - your links will change
Sub Navigation - optional links can change
Content - changes on every page
sidebar - optional, can change or not change
footer

jason

Bump, uploading a fresh install of word press right now.  I am going to develop my own theme for it. 

I am going to leave the current website in place until I have more of a workable project to display.  I will cover the steps I am doing right now in the next couple days.

jason

Here is where we are right now.  Word press is installed.

Attachments

• kochstart.jpg
    kochstart.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 718

jason

Sorry guys I need to get on this.  I am busy this weekend and early next week I have to prepare this week for a speech on ecommerce to a small business conference.

I should get some updates toward the end of next week.