Cashless

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

We've got a Bellacino's sub restaurant where 2 employee's were killed in October , by a disgruntled ex-employee. They are re-opening today & have annouced that this store & 1 other one will no longer accept cash. Only debit cards & credit cards. Maybe it's just me but I refuse to go along with that. I use cash or checks, unless I'm traveling then I'll use a card for a rental car & to hold my room until I get there & pay in cash. Am I just too old fashioned?

SKF

Your not to old fashion. Last year my parents discovered that $1300 was missing from their checking account and it showed that someone used their ATM card. They could not figure out what happened becasue they had not lost their dept card and could not figure out how someone had access to their password. The bank explained that it is very easy for criminals to find you card number and password and then make new cards with your account. The bank told them if they have to use their debt to use it as a credit. Here's an artical that may explain it better.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2006-03-16-debit-card_x.htm.

AAOK

Get with the times Doc.  I had a Great Uncle (6th grade education) who was quite an entreprenure & visionary.  When I was around 10, he told me that one day there would be no need for money.  Everyone would have a card which they would show to make a purchase.  He also told me we would be able to get on the phone, tell a business our name, and be albe to buy anything we want, and not even have to go get it.  This was well before home computers or the internet.

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) has been in use for years (Pike Pass, etc.), but is still too pricey to fit into our everyday lifestyle.  The likely hood of RFID, or something very similar, used for our daily purchases, and our individual identification is eminent.  I predict we will be currency (and card) free within 10 years, probably 5. 

Rather than assuming the role of techno-skeptic, we should adopt the insight that when revolutionary technologies are introduced into a culture they ultimately yield something fundamentally new. JMO

Doc

AAOK said:

Get with the times Doc.  I had a Great Uncle (6th grade education) who was quite an entreprenure & visionary.  When I was around 10, he told me that one day there would be no need for money.  Everyone would have a card which they would show to make a purchase.  He also told me we would be able to get on the phone, tell a business our name, and be albe to buy anything we want, and not even have to go get it.  This was well before home computers or the internet.

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) has been in use for years (Pike Pass, etc.), but is still too pricey to fit into our everyday lifestyle.  The likely hood of RFID, or something very similar, used for our daily purchases, and our individual identification is eminent.  I predict we will be currency (and card) free within 10 years, probably 5. 

Rather than assuming the role of techno-skeptic, we should adopt the insight that when revolutionary technologies are introduced into a culture they ultimately yield something fundamentally new. JMO

I understand what you're saying , but I also think this is why we are having some of the problems today with credit situations. People charge a $4.00 pack of cigarettes(or however much) because they don't get paid until tomorrow & they don't have any money & worry about paying for it later instead of quitting . I also think this a way the gov't will get more knowledge of what you are spending & where. JMO. ;D

AAOK

Quote for DOC
I understand what you're saying , but I also think this is why we are having some of the problems today with credit situations. People charge a $4.00 pack of cigarettes(or however much) because they don't get paid until tomorrow & they don't have any money & worry about paying for it later instead of quitting . I also think this a way the gov't will get more knowledge of what you are spending & where. JMO.

I'm with you DOC.  Even with the advancement of Technology Transfer, we will always have the earliest form of exchange, Bartering!

knabe

the reason we are moving to a cashless system is so that the government can more efficiently run the economy.  hillary said it clearly, we need more of a balance between the government and the economy.  what this means essentially, is that the government will control the economy to finance their expense projections.  they will finance their programs based on growth and property tax revenues, and when those revenues are in jeopardy, they will freeze loans, already happening and a hillary commercial.  it's amazing people refuse to let a bad decision be rewarded with a loss.  that way the same thing won't happen again.  the government is essentially assuring more loss in the future.  about 45% of the population pay little or no tax, with another 20-40 million on social security fraud.  it's not ok for citizens to profit from taxless transfers, ie drugs, but it's ok for the government.  the answer is less government, the balance is too far.  perhaps we should just go to cardless as well and let the government decide who should have assets, really just pretend assets, as property ownership will fall as well............