Cataloging old pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

After seeing some of these old pictures of long gone Maine-Anjou bulls, I was wondering- is anyone cataloging or preserving these? I'd sure love to see a recorded history of the breed in pictures. Harlan Richie is probably a treasure trove of information. How is he by the way?
Does the other breeds have a historian that does this? If we did something like this, who would be someone to talk too?

Red (pop)

DL

I would second that!! I don't know if we follow Robert's Rule's of Order here(welcome) (welcome) (welcome)

red

:-\ Actually, I was trying to find out if anyone was? would think there would be someone out there trying to save pictures or collecting them.
Sure send me anything, only way to get started!

Red

knabe

Red,

sorry to see you get cornered on the cataloguing.

This is why I wanted to see if doing a history of the breed of bulls and cows was feasible.  it would be a book that would sell, albeit, it's cost may not be covered.  however.  I think this cataloguing effort is an incrementalist approach to really needs to get done.  I feel that with some participation from the AMAA, that this would be a way for everyone to offer an olive branch of reconciliation to get something like this done.  With those people on board, some of the old timers will offer up stories and perhaps pics and get this done.  With the AMAA involved, the could even hire someone to ghost write the stories, some like cathy kadash, gala nettles in the horse industry, or heather smith thomas.  of course there would be some politics, but this would allow consolidation of resources and everyone would benefit.  we all know we would like copies of the old semen catalogs etc.  now we could have the stories too.  you could even put ads in the book to help cover costs!

Jill

Well when it comes out, put my name on the list.  I have tried to save pictures of the old bulls as people put them up and have saved all of the semen catalogs and sire summary and herd reference books since we started.  I am not much of a genetic historian, but I am not really impressed with the majority of the current genetics and it would be nice to be able to go back and maybe find something that is still avalible that would work in my herd. Good suggestion.

red

I sent John Boddicker at the AMAA a message if anyone was doing it & if not, are they interested in starting one.

Red (welcome)

red

John responded back. Joyce McKee is supposed to be doing something similar to it. ::)  He wanted to know if I'd contact her. Joyce is not the best on follow through.
Also he asked me to pass this along:
Along those lines we are planning on having a banquet again at our National Show/Convention.  As you may know it will be held in Louisville this year and we are going to attempt a reunion of sorts for the banquet. It would be nice to have some of these pictures/articles at that function.

Please pass the word on the banquet, it could be a lot of fun.

Red