Cattle Brands

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

I just got my mail today...The brand assessments are due.  Yikes!  225.00 per brand for 5 years in Colorado. 

What do you pay to keep a brand in other states.  Brands here are very expensive to purchase.  A good 2 iron brand sells for 4000-6000.  A one iron brand is impossible to get ahold of ..... $12000.

red

cowz said:
I just got my mail today...The brand assessments are due.  Yikes!  225.00 per brand for 5 years in Colorado. 

What do you pay to keep a brand in other states.  Brands here are very expensive to purchase.  A good 2 iron brand sells for 4000-6000.  A one iron brand is impossible to get ahold of ..... $12000.
Brands is something I'm not at all familiar with. would like to know more cowz!
Red

RSC

I live in Nebraska and my brand costs me $25 and I believe that is for 2 years but it may be longer than that.

Boy that's expensive.  The purchase of my brand was minimal as Nebraska has a list of available brands that may be selected.

RSC

cowz

Colorado, Wyoming and Western Nebraska are brand inspected areas.  Red, we have to own a brand to market cattle in Colorado. If you do not have a brand, you have to have brand inspection papers, that are like your car title, that shows the transaction from the breeder to you.  For example, if you send a load of cattle to the feedlot or salebarn, your brand identifies that they are your cattle.  Also, if you have a horse or calf stray or get stolen, you can definately prove that it is yours. 

Love of the western way and nostalgia aside, I do believe the National Animal ID system could possibly be the end of the brand in the future.  In the clubbie business, brands are not desired.  For some breeders, the brand is a welcomed trademark.  We have neighbors who run 2000 head of registered Angus, all with a complex freeze branding system, that makes ID a breeze. 

I assume that the eastern states let you write your own bill of sale on cattle?????  Do they have problems reclaiming lost cattle?

red

Fore registered cattle they go by ear tattoos but you have to have them registered. We don't really have a system out here. i'm sure there are a lot of problems with transactions but nothing has ever progressed that far. Most fairs require steers to be nose printed but that's more of junior ownership thing.
Thanks for the brand class.
Red

showcattlegal

It's 75.00 for 3 years. that sounds about right to buy brands there pretty high here. since almost everything has to have a brand in new mexico. Pure bred breeders have the opption to use the reg. numbers for a brand, but there is so many people stealing around here it's better to brand them. The sad thing is that don't stop people.
lacey

Joe Boy

My brand is a flying "W"

In Texas several people use this brand.  It does not cost me anything.  Before I had cattle in 2 counties and in several different pastures I did not have a brand.

RSC

Joe Boy said:
My brand is a flying "W"

In Texas several people use this brand.  It does not cost me anything.  Before I had cattle in 2 counties and in several different pastures I did not have a brand.
My Brand is Triangle Lazy T.  Don't you dare ask why the T is Lazy! (lol)

Tony
AKA RSC

red

RSC said:
Joe Boy said:
My brand is a flying "W"

My Brand is Triangle Lazy T.  Don't you dare ask why the T is Lazy! (lol)

Tony
AKA RSC

How do you come up with your brand? Is it something you just think up? i realize it have to be something that can be made to leave the proper mark but curious.I can see Joe Boy's being the flying W- an angel with wings, since he is a preacher. don't want to touch Tony's lazy T though!
Red (resting R)

RSC

Red, In Nebraska you have the option to select a brand that you have thought up but this can be difficult.  They have to make sure it will be identified on the animal as well as making sure that it doesn't look similar to another brand that is issued to someone else.

They will also give you a list of brands that are available  and the locations on the critter that are available.  You than give them your top 5 or so choices and then they look at counties close to where your cattle will be or are located and make sure there aren't brands in the area that are similar to yours.

If you want to know more and see what some of the brands look like go to this site http://nbc.nol.org/

In this site if you hit the Available link it will give you brands in Nebraska that are available.  The R or the L is the location on the animal that is available for that brand.
Tony

showcattlegal

My brand is a H spear bar on the left ribs. It was my grandpa's brand and he gave it to me before he passed away. In new mexico you can pick your own brand but it has to be 2 or 3 things. you can buy a one symbol brand but it will cost you a lot. Same as the other places you send in your choices and places you would like and they see if theres anything like it before they give it to you. but with show cattle you have to be careful of where you want your brand. I had to get rid of my old brand because it was on the right shoulder was not good.
Lacey

Joe Boy

Red,
My last name begins with "W" and I went to college on a track scholarship.  My son also was very good at track.  He won 3 state titles, 2 seconds, 2 fifths, and was All State Cross Country, football, basketball and all state academic team, plus he went to state twice in debate.  He graduated from college in 4 years and participated in cross country, indoor and outdoor track.  He went to nationals 4 times and had a year of eligibility left when he graduated.  He wanted to go to law school with his 3.5 plus grade and did not make high enough on the test.  His company that he was working for sent him to New Orleans to help with the hurricane repairs, and he took the test the day he got back to Oklahoma City.  Today he announced the University of Oklahoma's indoor track meet along with the man who is the voice of Kansas Bluejays.  So, my flying "W" is based on running and our last initial.  Also, the first registered heifers I bought already had it on them....ha.....  All of the above is true.