Cattle Cosmetic Surgery

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

This is all along the same lines as airing cattle.  We are from Indiana and knew it was happening to calves.  You can kind of tell when you rub your hand across them and they crackle!  My husband got sent to Dallas Texas for two weeks as part of his job for training.  After week 1 he started going stir crazy and figured he would go out and see some cattle breeders on the weekend.  My was he surprised when he went by the feed room at one place and there was an oxygen tank, tubing and a box of needles.  When he asked what they were for the guy told him it was to inject hair under the hides.  He was stunned, akin to the first time you find out who Santa really is.  He talked about that for weeks.  I personally would have loved to see his face when the guy told him. 

thats funny

We've bannded heifers navals before....we've even done it to steers.....its not like we are doin brain surgery or anything its just something simple like clipping to make your animal look better...thats just my opinion though.

DLD

Shaping a calf's head (cosmetic dehorning) can make a really big difference in their overall appearance - aside from just making the head itself much more attractive, it lends the appearance of a longer, cleaner neck and even makes the top look thicker and the shoulders look smoother as viewed from the rear (as opposed to a wider poll, either squarer or more rounded in appearance).  It definitely makes enough difference to be worthwhile if you expect to be truly competive.  Most of the vets around here have gotten up in the $125 price range, but there are others who can do a better job than most vets for alot less.  All of the rule books I've ever read allow cosmetic dehorning, so I see nothing ethically wrong with it - the horns need to come off anyway, no reason not to make it look right.  The younger you do it, the better the calves take it, btw.  If you put them where there's nothing to rub on (especially round bales, and a hot wire pen is best) or fight with (other calves, especially those they're not used to being with) for a few days to keep them from busting the stitches, be sure to keep the flies off of them, and give them a good dose of penicillin when you do it and again about 5 days later, you shouldn't have any problems.

I hear of people banding navels quite a bit.  I don't really have a problem with that, though I can honestly say I've never done it myself.  Other than that, I haven't heard of anything else that qualify's as cosmetic surgery actually happening in a long time.  Years ago, we used to see a few that had their necks worked on, but every one I ever knew of for sure had pretty noticeable scars and alot of them ended up looking just plain freaky.  

OH Breeder

DLD said:
Shaping a calf's head (cosmetic dehorning) can make a really big difference in their overall appearance - aside from just making the head itself much more attractive, it lends the appearance of a longer, cleaner neck and even makes the top look thicker and the shoulders look smoother as viewed from the rear (as opposed to a wider poll, either squarer or more rounded in appearance).  It definitely makes enough difference to be worthwhile if you expect to be truly competive.  Most of the vets around here have gotten up in the $125 price range, but there are others who can do a better job than most vets for alot less.  All of the rule books I've ever read allow cosmetic dehorning, so I see nothing ethically wrong with it - the horns need to come off anyway, no reason not to make it look right.  The younger you do it, the better the calves take it, btw.  If you put them where there's nothing to rub on (especially round bales, and a hot wire pen is best) or fight with (other calves, especially those they're not used to being with) for a few days to keep them from busting the stitches, be sure to keep the flies off of them, and give them a good dose of penicillin when you do it and again about 5 days later, you shouldn't have any problems.

I hear of people banding navels quite a bit.  I don't really have a problem with that, though I can honestly I've never done it myself.  Other than that, I haven't heard of anything else that qualify's as cosmetic surgery actually happening in a long time.  Years ago, we used to see a few that had their necks worked on, but every one I ever knew of for sure had pretty noticeable scars and alot of them ended up looking just plain freaky.  

I do it to all my calves. They are anesthetized and have no troubles if you care for them as you said. They just look so nice when it is done. I paid 80 a head and too them to the vet's office.
I bought a heifer once that had been dehorned with no pain killers etc. She would go nuts if you went near her ears or head. We had a terrible time trying to clip her head for show.

I also was told story's of how they "kept" baby teeth in from using 2x4's to fish hooks. Either way that is wrong in my book. The airing thing I didn't understand an til I had someone come by and look at one of my calves. They said you should take this calf to XYZ's he would come back looking like a super star in no time. Went on to explain the airing thing. That is cruel.

aj

Wow,on top of this and the photoshop deal....why would anyone use semen on a bull cause he looked good in a picture?

Dusty

aj said:
Wow,on top of this and the photoshop deal....why would anyone use semen on a bull cause he looked good in a picture?

I don't know why any rational person would use a bull just because or his super hairy, professionally taken calf photo?  It's hard enough to see a clubby bull in Denver and know whether he is real or not.  I like to see some calves before I think a new bull is worth using.

aj

It's a double edge sword...there are always good undiscovered bulls out there, but it is safer to use a proven bull.