Cattle Missing

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

Went to feed at the feedlot last night and 36 (all) of the calves were GONE.  Gate had been opened and cattle had either been let out or stolen.  Somehow 7 have ended up in the neighbors pasture, but 29 are still missing.  No one has seen a thing.  We live in west central Ohio, trust me, if our cows are out for more then 5 min we are usually getting phone calls, so for no one to have seen these cattle when they have been our 24 hours or more is a little strange.  Gate had to be intentionally openend too.  And with hunters hunting in the woods and all the crops off the fields I can't believe (if they are running loose and not stolen) that no one has seen them.  Husband and father in Law have been on 4wheelers looking for them all day with no luck...  Will keep you posted  (pop)

knabe

i'm thinking sand on the ground to catch tire tracks and padlocks on gates, although there's a couple of reasons not to use padlocks, ie emergencies.  me and RW will have the rocks ready.  i'm ready to get a remote camera as i had a couple of people "shortcutting" through my property the other day.

fluffer

Well, once again we are going to church on sunday.  Posting on here always resolves the issue ;D

No sooner then I got this post done, husband called and said he found the calves at a horse farm WAY away from where they were.  But that is OK!!!  THey are in fence and he is working on getting them loaded as we speak. 

Knabe, you can bet I will be out buying padlocks on my way home from work.  I have thought about the emergency thing too, but I think we will lock the gates anyways!

Fluffer

DL

Another thing to think about re padlocks (which can be easily cut with a bolt cutter in the event of an emergency) is how often you use the gate and winter - what I mean (Obtusely ;) is that even the outdoor ones will freeze and if you are in a hurry to go somewhere thru that gate it can be real annoying ;) ;) some of the motorcycle and bike type locks (that are either U shaped kryptonite or covered cables) might be useful - as would an armed gorilla sitting on the fence - glad you found them!

ROAD WARRIOR

DL - I hope that every one around here knows that my herd is guarded by the armed gorilla (Me!). I just bought a new Henry lever action rifle in the 45 long colt calibre ( ya, I know I'm still living in the past - but I like it there!) for just such occaisions.

DL

farmboy said:
shoot first, ask questions later... ;D

Zach - don't tell that to the man who shot his son while hunting - they all went out looking for the deer that was wounded......better motto don't shoot til you know what you are aiming at

ps are you having an identity crisis?? everytime I turn around you have a different name and now you ARE the donkey? WOW!

farmboy

im just saying, if i catch somebody meddlin around in the middle of the night in my house, barn, garage my car or anything, their goin down... I'd h8 to end up like Sean Taylor...

was i the walrus last??  ;D ;D ;D

aj

I have never come up long before on head count in a pasture. I usually loose one to lightning or whatever. This year we had 2 extra grass steers show up. I have talked to 11 neighbors an we can't figure out where they came from. It has been 4 months since they showed up. The brand inspector has said that if they are not branded... go ahead and sell them. I have had a heifer in heat travel 6 miles before to another pasture. One thing about having shorthorns is that they are uniquely colored. So if the get out people know who to call. If they go through a salebarn people notice. :eek:

fluffer

So I got the locks and chains, and the calves are all back where they belong, minus the 7 that are in with the neighbors.  But the funny thing is, lastnight the guy who keeps his horses at the same farm came home to find his horses running loose.  ???

Fluffer

Turkey Creek Ranch

DL - I hope that every one around here knows that my herd is guarded by the armed gorilla (Me!). I just bought a new Henry lever action rifle in the 45 long colt calibre ( ya, I know I'm still living in the past - but I like it there!) for just such occaisions.

round here we say.....Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up......works well with predators.......why not with rustlers (clapping) ;D :mad: ;)

Diamond

People tend to be really stupid, especially when they are up to no good. What I have found to work really good is having a 'fake' lock gate, with the 'fake lock' shown on front and a latch that's discreet on the back. works like a charm and makes it easy to open and close