Cattle show private eyes.

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I heard that the junior national show had some airing or pumping going on. It WAS NOT proven because no video or camera's took images prove ing the deal. Would shows ever set spy or surveilence cameras in the barns. What would happen if someone hired a papperazi to follow a competitors cattle around. I know that very few juniors actually fit their own cattle....but I got to wondering about this stuff. Will there be a scotch comb designed with a little camera inside......to catch people cheating? Thanks in advance.

aj

If someone stood in the aisle videoing cattle of a competitor like 24 hours aday.......are ther cattle show rules for this stuff? I assume it may be the next wave of being competitive? This might be the final frontier as rations,diet, and drugs are pushing cattle to the limits. Will there be ads in the Herford journal advertising private eyes for the show ring?

knabe

another one of those "why don't you just do it ideas"

maybe you could just do a hit piece on the industry instead of making something people will use.

i can't believe it doesn't get old for you.

why don't you start your own show, hire the judge, the police, the jury and the judge, hire the private investigator.  perhaps you could call the association and see if they will vote on it.

honestly, you NEVER have any ideas that involve YOU doing SOMETHING.

why don't you start a kids camp, give them your ideas and see how many sign up.

bet you get ZERO.

no thanks.

knabe

aj said:
If someone stood in the aisle videoing cattle of a competitor like 24 hours aday.......are ther cattle show rules for this stuff? I assume it may be the next wave of being competitive? This might be the final frontier as rations,diet, and drugs are pushing cattle to the limits. Will there be ads in the Herford journal advertising private eyes for the show ring?

maybe you could get this put into obamacare.

Gargan

I've never pumped or even saw an animal be pumped but I would assume it happens at home before the show takes place. The people that I gave heard of getting caught doing this just get the exhibitors banned and they (the jocks) find them another puppet and the cycle continues.
I do like the scotch comb cam idea so that I could watch a few great fitters up close.  (thumbsup)

aj

Like at Denver.......they could have little drones......flying around the yards......named "Festus"....."Barney". You'd have a calf in the blocking chute.....and a drone would show up.....hover......and then zip away. All cattle would be walked through a x-ray machine......going into the ring. Pull hair samples to see if the calf had been fed melatonin-marajuana brownies. Breath analyzer test's for calves and showmen. I'm just saying.

shortyjock89

There's not nearly as much of this going on as you think AJ. Believe it or not, it's possible to win a cattle show by hard work, skill, and a little luck. I've done it.  With both Shorthorns and Herefords at what I would call a high level ( jr nationals, Illinois state fair, Denver, Louisville).  A lot of people have asked me about these things and if they went on when I was at a high profile shorthorn place. I have never seen an animal be aired. Not in my year and a half with shorthorns or the last 4 months being in charge of Herefords. Never gone through much LA 200 either. Pumping isn't even in the same category in my opinion, but I couldn't even tell you where our pump is to be honest. We've used it more for treating sick calves than making one full for fun. What are we allowed to feed them AJ? Sagebrush? Tumbleweed? 6 ounces of dirt a day?

I know it's a hard pill to swallow, people being happy doing something you consider superfluous, but it's the way of the world. Heck, I get to make Herefords pretty for a living. That's pretty unfair and a little crazy for sure. But why not? It's not hurting anybody, least of all the cattle.

knabe

$16,000 in registrations and all you have is a commercial herd.

Too busy wondering what everyone else is doing.

rackranch

If ''you heard'' because someone saw a calve being aired its not hard to prove without a camera.  Just get an official, a vet, then walk over and put your hands on the animal. Pretty easy to feel!!!

aj

Facebook page?..............Craig Hoyt. I sent a request to be your friend Norma. I still can't marry you though. ;D

frostback

aj said:
Facebook page?..............Craig Hoyt. I sent a request to be your friend Norma. I still can't marry you though. ;D

Well OK. I have talked to a couple people. We may set up a facebook page on the deal. I hate the mandatory reporting part of the deal but I am convinced that we need to get Shorthorn EPDs set up on say the say level as the Angus. "Making the label easy to read" so to speak. We fogure it would take two years to get it changed. I doubt anything will happen because we are out hear in fly over country. I hate the computer part of the facebook deal.....but maybe this wild media sources could help

This is a quote from you in another thread. Have you already forgot?

aj

I talked to a director and I am studying the mandatory reporting deal and have some e-mails. If any of this would have merit I think a facebook page for discussion would be good. You can set up facebook pages for anything. I set up a facebook page "ancient traders trail". Our little archeology group has a facebook page.

vc

I have come to the conclusion that when AJ gets lonely he post something derogatory or an "I heard" post just so he can get someone to talk to him. Half the time he does not remember the other post he has posted, so it would help him out, if you did not bring things up from the past and stick to his current topic, , please.
I would not be surprised if AJ doesn't have post-its all over his fridge with bazaar or half thought out topics' just waiting until he needs some attention so he can post them.

Bradenh

vc said:
I have come to the conclusion that when AJ gets lonely he post something derogatory or an "I heard" post just so he can get someone to talk to him. Half the time he does not remember the other post he has posted, so it would help him out, if you did not bring things up from the past and stick to his current topic, , please.
I would not be surprised if AJ doesn't have post-its all over his fridge with bazaar or half thought out topics' just waiting until he needs some attention so he can post them.

Are you saying marbling is a maternal trait or not?

rackranch

<rock> Nice!!!

Show stopper 95 said:
vc said:

Are you saying marbling is a maternal trait or not?

aj

I read about the alleged incident in the last Shorthorn Country. Article by Alden and another person. This along with tje Canada show trouble......lawsuits.....etc.....seems discussion would seem to be relevent to me.

PDJ

aj said:
I read about the alleged incident in the last Shorthorn Country. Article by Alden and another person. This along with tje Canada show trouble......lawsuits.....etc.....seems discussion would seem to be relevent to me.
If you re-read the article, it is actually talking about pumping to fill the calf, not airing.  Both practices are against the rules, one is just a little more sinister than the other.