Cattle Software

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

What do you guys use to keep track of your herd on the computer? I am looking for an easy program that is easy to use and update with AI, records, registered cattle, the whole nine yards. We have been using microsoft excel spreadsheets but something more structured may be needed now we have more cows.

BattleVue

I tried the free demo of cow max and I think that is the simplest one to use.  I used Farm Works and that is terrible for a person who is not very computer saavy.  I am waiting for cattlemax to come out with their 2007 version and spoke to a rep. who said the hand held version will be out soon too which I am mainly interested in.

jason

I thought about developing a program, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and code something.

JSchroeder

Cattlemax is going to be your best bet in terms of a user friendly interface and compatibility with breed associations.  I tried about four of them and it's what I would use if I weren't able to make my own.

I'd love to see their hand held version when it comes out.  I made my own custom web based program (to be clear, with absolutely no intention of marketing it) that is formatted for a mobile device such as my Treo.  If I see a cow that's standing, coughing, bagging up, etc. I press a button and it keeps the record, calculates due dates, and develops reports on potential health issues.  It's hard to beat being able to update and check records while you are out in the field.

Jill

We used MDI, didn't like it, entry was easy enough but couldn't get the information I needed out of it, went back to excel.  I'll have to check out the new Cattle Max, a usable program would be nice, we do a lot of embryo work and something that tracks those would be great. 

kanshow

Great thread...  I've kinda developed my own thing using Excel but really want it to do more than I'm capable of programming.  Plus a real program would be easier for Dh to use than my spreadsheets.

Does anyone remember the old program that KState developed?  That was cumbersome. 

red

www.cattle.com has a free download of the Cattle Max program.
Jason- that would be great if you could develop one for the real world. Bet you'd get lots of adive here!

Red

Jill

I downloaded the free version, and emailed them about the update, they said the the update cattlemaxcs has been release and they will be sending an email out to all of their customers. 

justintime

If anyone knows of a program that provides an easy method to keep embryo records along with tracking where they go, please pass along the info. I find that keeping track of the cattle themselves, along with all their offspring is pretty easy, but these embryos are a totally different deal. We have several donors that are each flushed several times to various bulls. Some embryos are implanted here on our farm. Occasionally, some are implanted in co-operator herds. Also embryos are sold and if I don't keep completely on top of what and where the embryos have been sent too, it is very easy to get  mixed up.I have not found a program yet that manages this in a good way yet, but I have not seen all the programs either.

Jill

That was something that MDI did pretty good, but you couldn't get any reporting out of it, and without reports to me the information is useless.  I'm with you on the embryo situation and I'm going to play around with the CattleMax demo and I'll let you know what I find.  Any input from someone that already has it would be great.

DL

Excel and the red book - I tried Cow Sense it was the worst investment I ever made - expensive for purebed, not intuitive, the manual was written by a computer geek and when you called they couldn't translate it into normal talk - I thought I might burn it as a sign of coming spring and then when George sends me my money I was thinking of CattleMax - have heard nothing but good about it

P-F

Cattle max also does a pretty good job of keeping embryo inventory
I really like it and have been anxiously awaiting the hand held version

drl

Thanks for the replies, I will probably go with Cattlemax especially since we run many breeds. Does anyone know if/when there will be a newer version than the 06 on their website? Or would the 06 be fine as it is. Dropping $500 for the software and then having a new version come out before I get it installed would be frustrating. ;)

Jill

The email I got from them yesterday says the new version is out, if you order you will get the new version.

P-F

I just downloaded the trial version of cattle max Cs
It is pretty cool
I really like some of the changes they made
www.cattlemax.com/download

Jill

Just to let everyone know, I ordered the Cattle Max program today, they are shipping the CS version and the cost was 295.00 rather than the 345.00 it shows on the web site.  Gotta love it when a product gets cheaper instead of more expensive!

uluru

I use Ranch Manager Cattle Edition
It has more capability than I need for what I am doing right now.

JIT I don't know if itwould handle the Embryo issue very well as currently developed .
They are very receptive to change as they are a small developer
Originally it was developed for a herd in Sask and then they took it public.
Developers  are located in downtown Toronto and have cattle of their own in Sask.
They are very responsive to issues

www.lionedge.com

Like all software initial input is a pain.
If you keep it up to date and use it regularly it becomes much easier.

STEERJOCK21L

For anyone whose downloaded the free trial... after the thirty days is up can you re-download it and still have all your stuff on there?