Cattle water made from large old tires

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

I have seen photos of old tires taken off large construction equipment turned into cattle waterers.  I finally found a couple of those tires.  Could some of you please give me instructions as to how "cut out the top side of the tire" and how to install the tire, or turn it into a cattle waterer.  Someone told me you fill the middle of the tire (center of tire with tire laying on it's
side), with dry Sakrete cement, then fill the tire with water.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alscows

We did a spring development using an old combine tire.  Used a sawzall to cut out sidewall on one side of tire, Leaving the tread and about 3 inches of sidewall for strength.  Mixed quickcrete in whellbarrel, used almost 8 bags, and placed in bottom of tire, let dry and cure for 3-4 days.  Then came back and cut off inlet and overflow for water.  Very good durable waterer.

SEA

simmyman67 said:
I would talk to your local USDA guy.

I wish I could.  We live in Michigan, not many large herds of cattle out on pasture here.  We don't have anyone with that kind of knowledge about cattle in our local USDA department.

SEA

simmyman67 said:
I would talk to your local USDA guy.

Would someone have a website from USDA or State College Extension that might have a "bulletin" or something on the topic.  I have heard these tires are used in allot of areas in the West.

HAB

Alscows said:
We did a spring development using an old combine tire.  Used a sawzall to cut out sidewall on one side of tire, Leaving the tread and about 3 inches of sidewall for strength.  Mixed quickcrete in whellbarrel, used almost 8 bags, and placed in bottom of tire, let dry and cure for 3-4 days.  Then came back and cut off inlet and overflow for water.  Very good durable waterer.

This is exactly what I have done in the past.  Place the tire around your water inlet (stand pipe) and overflow, if you are using a flowing well or spring.  Fill center (between the bead and ground ) with concrete.  You can pour a pad around the outside ground to help with erosion and cattle standing in the mud, but not necessary.  Fill it with water.  They make very good indestructible waterers.

HAB

SEA

Alscows said:

My tire is not a 7 or 8 footer.  Do you put the concrete only in the center of the tire, i.e. where the tire would mount on the rim?  Or do you also place concrete inside the tire itself i.e. from the center of the tire up against the outside tread?

Also, doesn't the concrete crack where it is placed against the tire once it dries?  Then the water would leak out?

Thanks!

HAB

SEA said:
Alscows said:

My tire is not a 7 or 8 footer.  Do you put the concrete only in the center of the tire, i.e. where the tire would mount on the rim?  Or do you also place concrete inside the tire itself i.e. from the center of the tire up against the outside tread?

Also, doesn't the concrete crack where it is placed against the tire once it dries?  Then the water would leak out?

Thanks!

just where it would have mounted on the rim.  Never heard of one leaking, if it does, get some sikaflex brand caulking.  If your tire is smaller, and you are using a cement truck, you want to anchor the tire, as the heavy flow of cement can shift the tire, just an FYI.

SEA

HAB said:
Alscows said:

This is exactly what I have done in the past.  Place the tire around your water inlet (stand pipe) and overflow, if you are using a flowing well or spring.  Fill center (between the bead and ground ) with concrete.  You can pour a pad around the outside ground to help with erosion and cattle standing in the mud, but not necessary.  Fill it with water.  They make very good indestructible waterers.

HAB

HAB:

Any special kind or type of concrete?

Do you put the dry concrete in the tire, then fill the tire with water on top of the dry concrete, or mix the concrete the conventional way with water and then put in tire?

HAB

SEA said:
HAB said:
Alscows said:

HAB

HAB:

Do you put the dry concrete in the tire, then fill the tire with water on top of the dry concrete, or mix the concrete the conventional way with water and then put in tire?

We didn't use anything special, had a cement truck deliver it to us, have it wet enough so it fills the void under tire.  How large a tire are you using?

SEA

HAB said:
SEA said:
Alscows said:

Thanks!

just where it would have mounted on the rim.  Never heard of one leaking, if it does, get some sikaflex brand caulking.  If your tire is smaller, and you are using a cement truck, you want to anchor the tire, as the heavy flow of cement can shift the tire, just an FYI

THANKS!   (clapping)

SEA

HAB said:
SEA said:
HAB said:
Alscows said:

HAB

HAB:

We didn't use anything special, had a cement truck deliver it to us, have it wet enough so it fills the void under tire.  How large a tire are you using?

It is about 6 foot across with about a 2 1/2 foot center hole or opening where it mounted to rim.  I am planning on setting it on an old concrete slab.  Then putting a gate over half of the tire allowing the cows to only get to half the tire.  Then running a hose with a float on it to the half the cows can't get to.  I want the waterer for summer use only and to water approx. 30 cow/calf pairs.

TBCattle1

Here out west, these troughs are popular. I'm a county agent and I just heard this morning that a local rancher is getting a truckload of them in. I don't personally use them, but have thought about it. Here is a website for a company that many people out here use. www.tirewelder.com  Good luck!

Bulldaddy

I have one of those troughs and it is the best one on the ranch.  Wasn't cheap but it is foolproof.  I bought it from a company in Mt Pleasant, Texas.  The hardest thing about making them yourself would be cutting the tires.  It takes a special saw to do that.

SlickTxMaine

I have never heard of or seen these.  What is the benefit over the traditional metal or even concrete trough?  Can you guys that have them post pictures-- I am curious about this. 

HAB

SlickTxMaine said:
I have never heard of or seen these.  What is the benefit over the traditional metal or even concrete trough?  Can you guys that have them post pictures-- I am curious about this. 

In my opinion they are basically indestructible, and basically a forever tank.  I have seen them used with flowing wells, or a submersible float fed in through the bottom, to keep from freezing, in conjunction with electric heat to keep the tank open.  I have helped put in ones from 5 ft diameter to a 20 ft diameter.  Placing them is the only challenge, as it takes a BIG loader to move the larger ones.

The link posted above has a picture if you click on the trough tab.

HAB

OH Breeder

SlickTxMaine said:
I have never heard of or seen these.  What is the benefit over the traditional metal or even concrete trough?  Can you guys that have them post pictures-- I am curious about this.  

I am a very visiual person. I guess I don't understand either. I would have to see where you are pouring the concrete. I imagine you are pouring it in the bottom but what I don't understand is when you fill it with water how comes it just doesn't seep underneath concrete and out the bottom? Yes, I have problem with reading comprehension, I have to see something to understand it. I see the picture, but I am trying to understand how the bottom of it works? ???

Okay...so I googled it. I found it. GOT IT!
http://extension.missouri.edu/adair/documents/Livestock/Tire%20Tank%203.pdf

Attachments

• Tire Tank 3.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 275

HAB

OH Breeder said:
SlickTxMaine said:
I have never heard of or seen these.  What is the benefit over the traditional metal or even concrete trough?  Can you guys that have them post pictures-- I am curious about this.  

I am a very visiual person. I guess I don't understand either. I would have to see where you are pouring the concrete. I imagine you are pouring it in the bottom but what I don't understand is when you fill it with water how comes it just doesn't seep underneath concrete and out the bottom? Yes, I have problem with reading comprehension, I have to see something to understand it. I see the picture, but I am trying to understand how the bottom of it works? ???

Okay...so I googled it. I found it. GOT IT!
http://extension.missouri.edu/adair/documents/Livestock/Tire%20Tank%203.pdf

That is a very good link.  Thanks OH Breeder.

My first installation was a definite learning experience. :eek:

They are pretty simple.

HAB

GoWyo

The energy free set up with the heat riser is sweet to have in cold climates.