Cattleman's Congress vs. NWSS

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steve123

Was wondering what people thought of the comparison of attendees and exhibitors at the Cattleman's Congress and the NWSS. Interested to see if people think both can survive or if one will push the other out.

aj

I wonder if the Cattleman's Congress might be a strictly show cattle deal. I think the National Western may bring in a more commercial cattle people deal because of equipment displays and what not.

Gargan

aj said:
I wonder if the Cattleman's Congress might be a strictly show cattle deal. I think the National Western may bring in a more commercial cattle people deal because of equipment displays and what not.
Agree nwss still doing  market lambs, goats,  hogs . Hopefully they both can keep going.

knabe

what's the cost to attend either.

politics and friendliness of state to agriculture is probably a deciding factor as well. if a state keeps calling you the devil, why show up.

Colorado keeps shifting left, those on the right see less and less reason to diversify their economy at a loss demographically.

They prob both will keep going.

diversity is a word that has lost it's original meaning.  now it means intolerance.

CRS

I think you’ll see some guys choosing one or the other. With both it would take up nearly a month of time for two shows. My guess is that the Congress will be primarily show cattle and the Western will focus on the commercial guys, but I’m sure will always have a market steer show. Honestly a good delineation would reduce the practicality argument with the commercial guys. Just my thoughts on it.

knabe

Stonecattle

Have attended both, Congress last year and NWSS this year.  The new yards are nothing but spectacular at NWSS, power and wash racks are the best I have seen at any facility.  Also new this year were night pens for the hill cattle, super long walk but very nice.  Hill still sucks though but if they build the new facility like they did the yards will be top notch. Congress is okay, barns are great but wash racks are not very good at all(mainly built for equine).  It is nice that congress doesn't have any admission fee's though.  Truthfully, don't know if both can survive at this rate without one changing dates or something. Congress I know had way more cattle entered at least with Hereford and Angus, but NWSS has other species, rodeo and trade show along with general attendees to make up the money.

JPS

I attended the Cattlemen's Congress and asked both cattle exhibitors, sales managers and commercial exhibitors there opinion on NWSS and OKC.  There was some reminiscing about the tradition of the NWSS, but cattle exhibitors were over 85% stay in OKC.  Considerably less expensive (no bedding fees, cheaper hotels, no parking fees, no admission fees, shorter distance between hotels and grounds), easier to get in and out of grounds and barns, can park closer to the barns, more actual cattle producers viewing and buying their cattle, and breed sales for some breeds set records in OKC.  It is easier to get live lots for the breed sales in OKC. 

They would like to see some improvements in electrical (lots of cords to cross) cattle are a little more spread out and isolated due to the concreter dividers.  Feel like OKC staff is more welcoming and accommodating.  Feel like staff will try to improve conditions.  Also, OKC has announced they have state approval to build a new cattle facility on the fairgrounds.

Commercial exhibitors stated that they are not likely to return to Denver.  More actual cattle producers in OKC, which resulted in better business traffic.  Over 50% less in the cost to be there.