Causes of Premature Birth

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

Just lost a calf that came early he only weighed 28lbs and did not have all his hair. Mom is a healthy 7year old cow and this is her 4th calf never had any problems before. She is up to date on all her vac. What are some possiable causes??

DL

There are literally hundreds of reasons - what comes to mind right off the bat - INFECTION (lepto, BVD, neospora, IBR, brucellosis), congenital defects, genetic defects (PHA), toxins, bad karma ....if you have the body I would take it to the diagnositc laboratory - they may not be able to give you a diagnosis but they can tell you what it isn't which is just as important. good luck

ps take the placent too!

SKF

I wish we had a diagnostic lab to take it to. I have a hard enough time getting a vet out that is willing to treat cattle. I know it was not PHA because mom is a purebred bruanvieh and the calf did not seem deformed. Maybe it was some kind of toxin but, if it was a toxin do you think mom would act sick. She has always been a very healthy cow and we do have yearly vaccinations and she was in a good body condition before and during her pregnancy. Out of all our cows she is the one I never worry about because she has never given us any trouble and always looks good. Maybe it was just bad luck. I hope that's it because we have several calves due between now and Sept.

DL

SKF said:
I wish we had a diagnostic lab to take it to. I have a hard enough time getting a vet out that is willing to treat cattle. I know it was not PHA because mom is a purebred bruanvieh and the calf did not seem deformed. Maybe it was some kind of toxin but, if it was a toxin do you think mom would act sick. She has always been a very healthy cow and we do have yearly vaccinations and she was in a good body condition before and during her pregnancy. Out of all our cows she is the one I never worry about because she has never given us any trouble and always looks good. Maybe it was just bad luck. I hope that's it because we have several calves due between now and Sept.

You are in Florida?? Call the vet school and find out how to send an aborted calf to them..you want to find out it wasn't bad luck with the first one not the 2nd or 3rd... .

shortdawg

Maybe DL could say for sure but couldn't heat stress be a cause? You are further south than I am and we've had the hottest week of the whole year( 112 heat index today).

SKF

I never thought about the heat but that could be possiable. It is SO HOT and humid which makes it feel even hotter.

I will call the UF and find out how to send a dead calf in case this happens again. I am sure it is to late with this one. I wish we could get a vet out when there is a problem but everytime we have an emergency we can not get a vet. Drives me CRAZY!!!

DL

SKF said:
I never thought about the heat but that could be possiable. It is SO HOT and humid which makes it feel even hotter.

I will call the UF and find out how to send a dead calf in case this happens again. I am sure it is to late with this one. I wish we could get a vet out when there is a problem but everytime we have an emergency we can not get a vet. Drives me CRAZY!!!

Certainly heat stress could play a roll BUT you don't want to find out after another one that it wasn't heat stress but actually an infection...I suppose your calf is pretty well cooked by now - doubt you had it in the frig! Good luck

SKF

We did not put the calf in a freezer so being out in the heat and humity I think I will leave it were it is. I will find out what the university's procedure is in case it happens agian.

chambero

I bet its heat related.

We often have one or two cows slough a calf in the heat of the summer that are usually 6-7 months along.  We usually don't find the calf, but every once in a while you'll find one of them that looks similar to what you described.  It's no different than premature human babies and can be caused from mom being stressed too much in some way.  We've had a very cool summer and haven't caught any cows losing calves for whatever that's worth.