CCS - AAA guidelines for registration

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Guidelines Relating to the Registration Status of Potential and Known Carriers of the Curly Calf Syndrome
As a part of its ongoing efforts to protect our members and their customers and to provide future guidance for our membership, the Board sets forth below the following concepts it intends to follow in formalizing a policy to deal with the registration status of potential and known carriers of the Curly Calf Syndrome (“CCS”) gene. The following is based on the assumption that a specific test will be developed and made available to members that can distinguish animals with the recessive gene from ones free of it. What follows must therefore be considered hypothetical in the absence of a confirmed test. The Board’s primary purposes are to remove the CCS problem from our breed as soon as practicable, utilizing the best science available as an ally in the effort, and to protect our valued customers.

Currently Registered Females and Bulls
• As used in this document, the word “currently” in the phrase “currently registered” means as of the date that the American Angus Association makes an approved DNA test for the CCS gene available to the membership.
• All currently registered females and bulls with Precision genetics in their pedigrees will remain registered. Their registrations will not be revoked, cancelled or suspended.
• With respect to currently registered females and bulls that are subsequently tested or otherwise identified as carriers of the CCS gene, their registrations will not be revoked, cancelled or suspended.
Resulting Progeny of Currently Registered CCS-Carrier Females and Bulls
• All resulting calves of currently registered CCS-carrier females and bulls, born on or
before December 31, 2009, must be DNA-tested for the CCS gene (the results of which
must be provided to the Association by the testing lab) in order to be eligible for
registration. The results of that test (denoting whether the animal is free of the gene or a
carrier) will be reflected on their registration and performance pedigree certificates, as set
out below.

• All resulting calves of currently registered CCS-carrier females and bulls, born on or after
January 1, 2010, must be DNA-tested for the CCS gene (the results of which must be
provided to the Association by the testing lab) and found to be free of that gene in order
to be eligible for registration.
A.I. Sires Carrying the CCS Gene
All calves born of an A.I. sire will not be eligible for registration if conceived after sixty
(60) days following the date on which that sire is publicly announced by the Association as being a carrier of the CCS gene.

Registration of Clones
No clones of animals identified as a carrier of the CCS gene shall be eligible for registration.
Notice on Registration and Performance Pedigree Certificates
The registration and performance pedigree certificates of registered females and bulls with Precision genetics in their pedigrees will be amended to reflect the results of the DNA tests
to be conducted on these animals. Carriers of the CCS gene will be denoted by the letters “CCS.” Animals found to be free of the gene will be denoted by the letters “FCCS.”

Notice Concerning Suspect Animals
In the absence of presenting proof to the Association that an animal or an ancestor of that
animal, previously registered or to be registered, has been tested free of the CCS gene, the
following notification shall be placed or displayed on or in connection with the pedigree of the suspect animal:
This animal has one or more ancestors known to carry a recessive gene that can result in the conception of calves with a lethal defect known as Curly Calf Syndrome. The American Angus Association recommends testing to confirm the absence or the presence of this gene.
All animals tested for the CCS gene, upon receipt of this information by the Association from the testing lab, shall have such notification deleted. Carriers of the CCS gene will be denoted by the
letters “CCS.” Animals found to be free of the gene will be denoted by the letters “FCCS.”

Cattledog

SD said:
In a vacuum, sounds great but what will happen to those who monkey with the facts?

No listing of an appeals process either.

I you talking about if people have calves and don't register to the correct sire?  Eventually, I believe this type of behavior would catch up with them.  If you get caught I imagine they will take your ability to register calves away from you.  Hence, kick you out of the association.  Although this is a big blow to the angus breed there is some upside.  I think that peole will be looking to find an outcross bloodline that the breed really needs.  I agree that in a perfect world where everybody is honest the rules would work.  Most angus breeders claim to be honest about their programs.  I guess now it is time for them to pony up try to move the breed forward instead of let it stagnate with this problem.

Latest posts