CDL needed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steelbrook

I am looking at my license setup on our Ford F250 and 20ft Eby. We currently have a personalized truck plate which is a maximum 8,000# plate and the trailer is a 16,000# plate.

I am considering a new truck that has a 10,000# GVWR option on the sticker which means I should go to a 10,000# plate. If I go with a straight Farm plate which is a 12,000# plate will I need a CDL? We are in Wisconsin and most of our towing is local but we have a couple long distant shows planned for 2011.  Do I worry about this or just run with it and hope for the best?

cornershack

as confusing as it may be check with your Dept of trans. get on line and search the site. you should be able to figure it out without to much grief.

wiherf

the wi dot response would be over  24000 and you need a dot #. when you have a dot # you need a cdl unless less than 250 miles from home. with only a few times a year I would worry but fines can be alot. I'm getting mine this winter but I have a F-450 and a 30' trailer. I already was stopped this year at a stop sign with a flatbed 3 miles from the farm.