Cellulose fuel and feedlot cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

Two items of interest came across my desk this week.  While some are advocating that forestry waste, switchgrass, and other items be used to make gasoline because they are cheaper than corn, the technology to break down the fermentable sugars economically is still being sought.... maybe, Dr. Beevers next undertaking......  On February 1 our inventory in feedlot cattle had dropped 3% below last year.  January placements plunged 23% from a year earlier and was the lowest since 1996.  This was due to the harsh winter and the high corn prices.  Yet, a researcher showed that little is lost in the distilled corn for feed value to cattle.....  last week feedlots were asking $100 for their fed cattle.  For the year it is predicted that the cattle will be in the 90's per cwt....  If this happens there will be a new annual  record set for fed beef.  The previous record was for 2005.

This could be an interesting market year, so let's all stay tuned.

Joe Boy

I forgot to mention that I got my lastest "Voice" and found it interesting....

One bull that stood out was "Oklahoma Storm"... sired by Irish Whiskey and is dam is not mentioned.....  He is PHA & TH free, momozygous black and polled.  He also had some great EPDs.  Has anyone seen the bull or know anything about him?

red

Joe, I looked at the bull too. I checked his pedigree & the cow is out of Phillip Right Direction  (K& A Amtrak). Good EPD's & birth weight. Purebred to boot.
Loved the picture of him & the girl.

Red