Centerville IJBBA Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

iowabeef

Did not travel down to this show this year.  I heard there was not a big turn out.  Only 18 head?!?!?!?!  If anyone knows anything or has any results please post them.
I would not be surprised by the small number as I have noticed all of the shows have been much smaller this year.  Is the economy hurting numbers or is it just a down year?

clonefan

there was more than 18 head total that might have been the number of mkt animals. ch steer- macy goretska res- tanner 3rd- little red mkt heifer, 4th- germans mkt heifer dont remember 5th. not big numberes but some good cattle there.

mooch

Why would you haul all the way down there to show against Gorestska's in their back yard? Probably had something to do with the numbers.

iowabeef

Because it isn't all about winning Grand....nice goal but there are so many more benefits to the Iowa Junior Beef Breeds Association shows than that.

mooch

iowabeef said:
Because it isn't all about winning Grand....nice goal but there are so many more benefits to the Iowa Junior Beef Breeds Association shows than that.

You asked I answered , don't shoot the messenger.

forcheyhawk

Aren't most of these open show numbers down this year?  It always amazes me that the Beef Expo in the crappiest weather that Iowa has to give - has 1000+ calves jammed into that cattle barn with little to no room for tack or anything else and then most of these same calves won't travel 20-30 miles from their house for a few hour show.  I've yet to understand the logic.  I know this is a busier time of year though.  I'm sure that plays into it.   ;D

Paint It Black

I have several years experience with the IJBBA. I am just curious what are these benefits ? From my experience the Junior association seems to become less and less beneficial every year

iowabeef

I guess it really depends on what you "need" in order to benefit.

For us
  1-Great way for family to spend time together doing an activity that we love
  2-Great way to hang out and catch up with friends in the business
  3-The calves change so much from show to show, it is a great way to get differing opinions on your animals so that you can go back home and work to improve them, either through feed rations, exercise or what have you.
4-One judge may not like your calf at all and the next one may love it.  Going to multiple shows gives you a chance to succeed.
5-Great way for the juniors to work on showing and showmanship.  Travelling to multiple shows has improved our juniors abilities as showman and people at the county notice it.  Why not constantly practice to improve your craft? It makes a difference in the showring.
  4-Good way to experience parts of the state we wouldn't otherwise.

I guess if someone is in this to make money, or get "stuff" then no it would not be beneficial but if you are in it for the big picture and the joy of raising cattle and trying to improve, there is a not a better way for a family to spend time together. 
It all depends on what you are looking for and how you approach it.  For us it is an amazing experience.
Yes, I would agree with an earlier post that numbers are down in general this year, and I think the economy has so much to do with it.

iowabeef

Got the full results from another site....

Breeding
1st Chloe VanVliet - Mainetainer
2nd Kiley Elder - Maine
3rd Kallie Burns - Chi ??
4th Tyler Dewitt - Comm.
5th Kiley Elder - Res. Comm.

Market
1st Macey Goretska - Chi
2nd Jake Tanner - Cross
3rd Caleb Rietveld - Mkt Heifer
4th Cole German - Res. Mkt Heifer
5th Kaleb Miller - Maine