CFS/Lakeside Rooster

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortybreeder

Does anyone have any calves out of this bull? I'm not familiar with most of his pedigree, is he a good functional bull or more of the show type? I need a bull that will add some carcass to my cows without sacrificing maternal traits.

mbigelow

When you say carcass are wanting to add marbling or meat yield.  They are antagonistic traits for the most part and we have limited data on carcass traits in the breed.  One of the more documented Bulls for increasing marveling is jsf gauge.  To increase yield stone Springs fire cracker.

shortybreeder

Thanks Mark! I'm pretty sure that would be a son since the bull was born Oct. 2013. And mbigelow, I'm looking to add more yield and carcass shape/muscle expression. I tried to google firecracker, but all I can find is 3 daughters/granddaughters in the 2016 "Share the Vision" sale. Do you know where I could find a picture of him or semen for sale?

sue

shorty- Rooster out of a PB Sneed cow that topped Rob's production sale in 2011 ( sold to Todd Clark).  RS Linda Kay is a Paternal sister to "034" .  So if you are or were part of the feed trial's Nick Hammett and Ron Bolze over saw then you would recall that the sire of 034 creamed everyone in the 2004-2005 feed trial both for feed efficiency and carcass.  Linda Kay in my opionion was like alot of the paternal sister's to 034 - a tick shorter sided.  Girl 112 - I believe became apart of John Sullivan's pick of Rob's herd back in 2010 ( the 10 or so females Sull purchased)- so older ads of 034 ( 06,07) would show her photo ( she was a paternal sister to RS linda Kay too).  I took Girl 112's photo in 2004?

CFS/Rooster was a mating  based on longevity of his parents- Jon White just photoed fall weaned calves and in fact sent photos to me christmas day.The bull  has been collected and I believe Cattle Visions has semen .  Photos I have are very candid -

Promo photo of Rooster was taken by Jon and he is not a professional photographer- I hope this helped, Jon is sole owner .

trevorgreycattleco

Firecracker was bred by Jay Behnam of Stone Springs Shorthorns in Ohio. I believe Duane Miller (DLF) bought and had the bull most of his life. I believe the bull saw service at Hivelys' highland farm too. Those three places would be a good place to start on firecracker semen. He had a huge ribeye if I remember.

Medium Rare

561 has an interesting pedigree.

Can't help but wonder what the Erin's Dividend cow looked like.

mark tenenbaum

Erins Dividend is a Wallmar Chase -He was Enticer on a full Irish cow-Deerpark Improver on a Deerpark Leader cow, then a lot of typical dual breeding (Major Clark, Ayatollah on the bottom-she was probably from the early to mid 80s O0 O0 O0

mbigelow

Shortybreeder I too tried locating a digital picture of Firecracker and had no luck.  I had also forgot that he was 102 #bw he was great at adding muscle and increasing yield and had great maternal in the background. I used a son of his byland steadfast.  He was a maternal half sib to gold spear. Their dam was by designer who still is one of the highest milk epd's Bulls in the breed.  Steadfast may work and I still have semen.  Most of the Bulls that add muscle and increase yield also increase growth and bw. I would pick a bull that makes moderate movements in the area you wish to improve and not go for Bulls at the extreme as this will introduce too much variation in the resulting offspring.  What is the background pedigree in the cows?

aj

If its the Chase bull I'm thinking of, he was a carrier of a lethal genetic defect. Twig Marsten raised him I think.

shortybreeder

mbigelow said:
Shortybreeder I too tried locating a digital picture of Firecracker and had no luck.  I had also forgot that he was 102 #bw he was great at adding muscle and increasing yield and had great maternal in the background. I used a son of his byland steadfast.  He was a maternal half sib to gold spear. Their dam was by designer who still is one of the highest milk epd's Bulls in the breed.  Steadfast may work and I still have semen.  Most of the Bulls that add muscle and increase yield also increase growth and bw. I would pick a bull that makes moderate movements in the area you wish to improve and not go for Bulls at the extreme as this will introduce too much variation in the resulting offspring.  What is the background pedigree in the cows?
Mostly Homedale influence. The one that needs more muscle and thickness is out of Homedale Red Demand, which is a Gus 80C son. She's a bit on the small side frame-wise as well. I've got a daughter of hers out of Homedale Creole 135 that's really nice, but she could use a little more growth.

mbigelow

Shortybreeder,  I have three Bulls I would suggest.  Byland steadfast,  saskvalley imperative,  rb eagle 148th.  I would also ask Frank K. If he still has semen on bf outer limits 8170 he may also work.

mbigelow

E3 jsf navigator may be good if just have no experience with him. I was not impressed with my venture cattle in terms of production.  They looked good themselves but did not produce like I would have thought they should.

Latest posts