Charolais and Shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I have also seen a "peach or a Peach roan" out of this combination. it is definitely different. You would think white on white would be white. But the shorthorn white is recessive. Not quiet sure what happens to get the peach.

shortyisqueen

One of our neighbours used a white Shorthorn bull with alot of red & roan in his pedigree on her commercial Charolais cows...and got pure white ones...she must be the exception!

DLD

Maybe that's kinda like Hereford/Angus crosses... An Angus bull on Hereford cows will get mostly baldies, but a Hereford bull on Angus cows seems to throw mostly brockle faced.

kanshow

WOnder if it makes a difference what kind of white the Charolais is..  some of them are almost cream, some are white white, and others have a darker under color to them...   

frostback

Charolais animals are homo red animals that are also homo carriers to what they call the diluter gene. They also have what some call RED FACTOR. The cream coloured chars seem to have less diluter therefor the cross calves will be darker red. The persons neighbour that breed the white short to chars just didn't have a lot of red factor but I bet if you got real close you would see a difference in some hairs as all those calves would be roan.
  The white in shorts is not recessive it is CO-DOMINANT( not yelling just defining) that means that both colours show and co-mingle getting the roan. A white shorthorn only has a co-dominant gene to give the offspring therefor all offspring from a white short parent will be roan. Both white parents and all offspring will be white.
Red and white or red with white are homo red with a spotting gene. It is hard sometimes to tell if you have a red and white or roan animal but if you ever have a white calf then it is a roan and not red and white.

shortdawg

. It is hard sometimes to tell if you have a red and white or roan animal but if you ever have a white calf then it is a roan and not red and white.
[/quote]

My head is spinning ! ??? Explain this quote to me a little futher. I have noticed that some of our solid white shorthorns have dark hairs mixed in that are not noticable from very far away.

frostback

SRU I think you got it. A white bull or cow could only sire another white or roan because they only have the CO-DOMINATE gene to give the offspring. They may look solid but cannot be. It only takes a few hairs mingled together to be a roan. I have a steer that only has a line down form his rectum that can only be seen when you lift his tail but if he were to be a breeding bull he would breed with the same percentages as say, Manchild who is a blue roan you can see easily. Spots to check for roaning are under tail, on the brisket and between back legs. It does not take much to make roan.
I am tired and not great at explaining this in type but will try. If you have a animal that you are not sure if they are roan, or red and white, and they sire a CALF that is for sure roan or white that means they themself(parent) are roan. Hope that is better.                                                                                                                                                                                                       

garybob

Shorthorn_Junkie said:
garybob said:
There are a bunch of 'em, just down the road, in Farmington ( Arkansas). I'll get the ol' digital ready, and, since i'm not computer-literate, maybe Ms. Red could help me post them, if i can figure out how to Email 'em to her.

They are awesome-looking cows. Roy had a Shorthorn herd that was predominately Deerpark Leader-bred. Took a whoopin' every time he sold calves, so he found redemption with the local Sale Barn in good, Yellow, calves.

GB

I say go for it GB!  I'd like to see some more of those Shorlais.

Fire that digital camera up!   (thumbsup)
Went to see my Mom yesterday. She's not doing good. Cattle can wait.

GB

chambero

I hope everything works out for the best for you and your mom - whatever best needs to be.  Those are always tough situations. 

garybob

chambero said:
I hope everything works out for the best for you and your mom - whatever best needs to be.  Those are always tough situations. 
All I will tell you guys is, to flush the Cigarrettes down the toilet, or keep ONE pack of them around for wasp-stings, and, de-worming your Sheep, only.

GB

Latest posts