Charolais help

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

We just purchased a Charolais bull and we know absolutely nothing about the breed, is there anything destinctive about that breed in particular that we
need to know, are they ok in hot weather, I know sometimes they are high strung but this guy is a kitten, I know that each breed has some differences so was just
wondering what some of the traits were that we might need to know of this breed.

Bawndoh

Some of them can be quite framey with quite a bit of bone, and large birthweights.  Others are built like a really thick angus bull, and seem to have moderate birthweights.  I will tell you this...you will almost never get a 70 pound calf out of a Charolais.  Up here, nobody buys Charolais to make mother cows.  They buy them to make wicked good commercial steer calves to sell at market.  Charolais will add pounds, and thickness, growth, bone, and muscling.
Could you get any pix of him?  Bloodlines?

SWMO

Char's are great in hot weather.  Ours will be out grazing long after the blacks have hit the shade.  Think about it.  White will reflect heat while black absorbs it.

Like any other breed there will be great differences in birth weights and milking ability.  You will have to study the bloodlines.  The Baldridge Fastrack line is know for their low birth weights.  Most well known is Baldridge Kojack.  Once again disposition is like any other breed.  Most of ours have great dispositions.  But like any other cattle environment can play a big difference. 

I disagree about keeping Charolais crosses to make cows.  They make great cows.  The absolutely best cross IMO is a Red Angus x Charolais.  As I have said before we really like this particular cross.  Will see of I have a picture of an outstanding heifer that we have.  If you will be trying for a clubby you will have to work at keeping the frame size down and watch that you don't get your calves too straight off the rear wheels.

What's the breeding on the bull?

garybob

SWMO said:
Char's are great in hot weather.  Ours will be out grazing long after the blacks have hit the shade.  Think about it.  White will reflect heat while black absorbs it.

Like any other breed there will be great differences in birth weights and milking ability.  You will have to study the bloodlines.  The Baldridge Fastrack line is know for their low birth weights.  Most well known is Baldridge Kojack.  Once again disposition is like any other breed.  Most of ours have great dispositions.  But like any other cattle environment can play a big difference. 

I disagree about keeping Charolais crosses to make cows.  They make great cows.  The absolutely best cross IMO is a Red Angus x Charolais.  As I have said before we really like this particular cross.  Will see of I have a picture of an outstanding heifer that we have.  If you will be trying for a clubby you will have to work at keeping the frame size down and watch that you don't get your calves too straight off the rear wheels.

What's the breeding on the bull?
Heck, yes, Charolais are heat-adaptable! 75% of the Mexican feeder calves that I saw in Eagle Pass, were Charolais or crosses. Coahuila, heck, all of Northern Mexico is hotter than the Blue-blazes.Don't think black-hided mother cows perform as well down there, or, those ranchers would be raisin' 'em (given the premiums for black calves--even at the dip-vats). Environmental Adaptability.

GB

shortdawg

I have a couple of half bloods that are great. The oldest always puts 500 lbs in her calf by 5 months. Her last calves were twins and I weaned them at 5 months too, one weighed 385 and the other weighed 390. That's pretty good in my book. Right now I have an egg in her, a Primo/Shadra heifer calf due in Sept. I thought since she's such a good milker I'd use her that way to give that calf the extra boost. She's out of the Prime Cut bloodlines. The other is heifer safe in calf to JPJ ( it's a heifer too ).

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Standing the heat is one of the strong point's in the Charolais breed , being noticed here in Nebraska right now, so many commercial herd's are going to later calving , like in april an thet don't turn bull's out till July , an one Manager of a big herd last year said his Charolais bulls had quite a bit better coception than his Black bull pasture's.  Also his cowboy's noticed the Charolais bull's were out breeding cow's , when the  black bull's were in the shade. Also Ithink the smoke females have a advantage an if you use good stock from both breed's you will have some great female;s. Someone mentioned the Red Angus an it is really gaining popularity in this country with the Charolais bull.  In the club calf business right now the best deal is using the right clubby bull on a moderate made Charolais cow.  Some of these bull's can cause rattail's, had most problem with  Heat Wave , but son's worked real good.

doubled

Yep he is built more like a angus bull on the small side for a charolais and real stout, we are using him on black cows, some red for a clubby smokies
so far we really like his disposition he was ready to show so he is really on the quiet side, we are excited to see his calves we have NEVER used any
charolais in all the years we have had cattle so they are looking forward to see how his calves come out, Im just a little worried about all the
stuff I hear about big calves that they tend to throw but we are not using him on any super small cows or any 1st calf heifers till we see his calves,
he has none on the ground since he is young, so we will be his 1st crop.  They guys may decide to market him also for semen if things go good.

SWMO

What's the breeding on the bull in question?  What is his actual birth weight and his birth weight EPD?

doubled

I personally dont know all that cause we have not gotten his papers yet so that  I can do some research on him-
we just got him home last week and threw him out with some cows cause its gettin late-
I will be getting that information soon, I have not even gotten a picture of him yet, just gotta make the time.
I will repost all that info as soon as I get it.

doubled

Finally got his papers, his daddy is TR MR Fire Water and Mamma is a Lafraise Krystle
hopefully that tells you something good???

Latest posts