Chianina

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

ROMAX said:
Just wondering if anyone on the planet had any old school fullblood chi's,or know of anybody who does?

Walter G. Mize in Hico, TX

iowabeef

Check out these guys on Facebook.  They are in Polk City, Iowa....right next to Des Moines

2gthr Chianina and 5J Chianina

Copy and past that exactly as it is.  The white old school bull they have pictured there was at the Iowa State Fair this past year.  It really brought back some memories of some of the cattle we saw in the 70's.  The Chi show was the same time as the prospect show and it was so funny to see a couple of guys walk their prospects under this bull without toughing just to prove they could.  The scales they had wasn't tall enough to weigh this guy in......

ROMAX

Just kinda wondering what everyones thoughts were,too this breed being relevant to the commercial cattle industry again or never?I hope we never see the day again when we need this breed (1970's n 80's cattle not too hot)but  theres probably lots of young showmen who don't know what a real chi is supposed to look like.

cattleboy

I love how purebred chi's are so much larger than modern day chi's. I hate to see a breed die out like I feel its going to.

C

cornish

greg.kirlin said:
I love how purebred chi's are so much larger than modern day chi's. I hate to see a breed die out like I feel its going to.

going to?  Already did.

wyatt

feed grass said:
greg.kirlin said:

going to?  Already did.
there is probably a maximum of 15 fullblood chi farms in the u.s. if that...

cattleboy

well its not quite dead yet. I mean, the people at 2gthr Chianina and 5J Chianina seem to be pretty dedicated to the breed. Usually you see Chianina only in 3-way crosses or in club calf stock.

Diamond

They are still pretty popular in my area, they are the go to breed for pulling oxen.