chickens and cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

here's a couple of pics of shorthorns at our local surf and turf show.

the first is a gizmo out of a double stuff.
i don't know the second, but she was calf champion last year at state i believe, and she won the class which included the above heifer, which was used to win showmanship.  the volume on the older female is not borne out by the picture.

chicken pics.  i tore down my neighbors round corral as it had lots of sheeting, which costs about 40 bucks a sheet out here and built a coop for my egglayers.  they are a cross between a game hen and a bantam, so they are about half if not more of the size $100 bucks for materials as the roof was the most expensive.  i put two layers of shade cloth underneath the roof.  on the side the pic is taken from, as well as the other side, i will put a shade cloth as shading the east and west walls accounts for significant heat gain.  took two days to train them to move there from a stall in the barn.

Attachments

• sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 785
  • sh1.jpg
    sh1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 795
  • chicken4.jpg
    chicken4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 780
  • chicken2.jpg
    chicken2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 784
  • chicken3.jpg
    chicken3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 779

kanshow

Nice heifers! 

Are you a chicken expert?  Will bantams cross with regular chickens?  We have one bantam rooster and several regular chickens.  The kids want to hatch some of the eggs out. 

knabe

i am not a chicken expert.  about all i know is how to get them to roost, what a raping rooster acts like, and how to train my dogs not to eat them.  they can take care of themselves against the cats.  hawks are another story.  this requires a rooster who knows what's going on.  getting them to lay is another story.  but since i don't need that many eggs, i have 13 hens, and 3 roosters.  they don't fight.  the one's that do get led in their head.  i can catch them now by hand pretty good if close enough, other than at night.  they do need a certain diameter rod to roost on comformtably so they don't have to continually balance, which stresses them.  i don't give them shots, dust them or anything.  they range free, eat on the corn seedlings, bugs, grubs etc.  i've taught them to stay in the yard or they get hassled.  also, it's pretty useful to know what leads up to gang warfare with roosters and nip it in the bud.

knabe

i was the old nerd who asked you the breeding on your heifer and asked if you had her tested for TH and you said no.  by the way, congratulations.  good walking heifer.  get her tested.