child afraid to go to school

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

What do I tell my 10 year old when she askes if the same thing that happened in Virginia could happen in her school? We are from Colorado and she was too young to remember Columbine but she hears references to it all the time. I am in a lose here, HELP. Frostback

red

frostback said:
What do I tell my 10 year old when she askes if the same thing that happened in Virginia could happen in her school? We are from Colorado and she was too young to remember Columbine but she hears references to it all the time. I am in a lose here, HELP. Frostback

Frostback, I hate to say this but I am so glad I don't have any school age children right now!
I am no expert, but I think patience, understanding & prayer are what's needed. I'm sure there are a lot of parents dealing w/ the same situation now, especially from CO.
Do you have a clergy person that she can talk to that's good? I really don't have any good suggestions- only to love & hold her tightly.

Red

jason

I second Red, reassurance and prayer.  I am not sure at that young of an age that you can speak the exact truth about how times have changed.

nysteerguy

I am a relatively young person at only 20 yrs of age but let me tell you what i have seen a lot of things that probably would mess most people up.  I have lived through high school under lock down after Columbine as well as the Virginia sniper a while back.  Let us not forget the impact of 9/11 which brought me instantly to tears.  What i am trying to get to is that this world is becoming an increasingly hostile place whether we want it to or not.  In my lifetime I have come to understand even at a young age.  I think that the right thing to do is share what happened and express your grief on the situation, but not in a way that scares the child.  Clergy is another route i would suggest, I found a bunch of comfort talking to my pastor about the events of 9/11 and it has actually spurred me to enter the kind of research I do in college.  Anyway I hope someone finds this useful and that it gives older people a better look into what youth may think about things.

-NYER

red

Frostback- I got this today. It's from the Mayo clinic & it's about how to talk to kids about the shootings. hope it gives you some insight.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/school-violence/MH00111

Red

red

I hope so. I have just spent so much time today thinking of all young people.
We truly are a family here!

Red

Latest posts