Chili cook-off

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Since in most places it's getting cooler. This time of year always makes me think of soups & chili.

I'm a cook that usually follows no recipe so my stuff tastes a little different each time. I'm sure we have some chili experts here that would love to share their talents!

Red

TMJ Show Cattle

John OKLA won a chile cook off in Oklahoma not to long ago!  My experience is...its GREAT !! (thumbsup)

inthebarnagain

For a different slant on chili try the recipe on the side of Bush's Great Northern Beans for white chili.  Put some Monterey Jack cheese on it, YUM!

Davis Shorthorns

my secrete ingredient is DEER MEAT.  I never use beef.  I have also made chili with duck, goose, wild turkey, rabbit, and other random wild game.  For those that have family members that don't like the taste of wild game it is a great way to sneak some in and if it is ground they will never know.  Plus all of it is low in fat.  I usually have to add some sort of fat when I am cooking my deer burger.  Plus it has to be thick.  My dad would make chili that was more like soup so that he could stretch it and then put two handfulls of crackers in it to make it thick.  I am still scarred to this day. 

red

Carrie- would John share it or is it a secret he'll take to the grave?  ;)

Red

kanshow

TMJ - Congratulations on the cook off win!!

The kids were asking for chili so got some in the crock pot now.  Should be ready for supper.

red

who uses hamburger or a roast for theirs?
The deer meat doesn't sound the greatest to me but then I've never been a big fan.

Red

TMJ Show Cattle

2 lbs gound chuck
1  lb  Sweet Italian Sausage
1 lb Venison
1 lb ground Andouille sausage (cajun smoked sausage)
3 TB Hungarian Paprika
3 TB Mexican Chile powder
2 TB Cumin
1 large onion minced
1 1/2 TB Kosher salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 28 oz cans of GOOD Italian tomato sauce

Blend all seasonings and browned meat together and simmer over low heat 1 hour.(do not drain fat from meat)  Add tomato sauce and simmer 3 hours.
Serve with sweet vidalia onion and sharp cheddar cheese on the side. John says to use bread and peanut butter to cut the heat.

This is TEXAS RED chile.  No beans are used in this recipe, but if you choose to , put them in. 

Good luck to everyone eating this!!  ;D  Carrie

red

Thanks Carrie! Sounds like you'd need a fire extinguisher nearby!
that's another big difference in regional chili! Beans! I add them but know a lot that don't.

Have you had White chili? it's made w/ chicken & white northern beans.

Red

harley

[size=10pt]CHICKEN??? [/size]  :eek:    There's no chicken in chili!!!!!

Telos

harley said:
[size=10pt]CHICKEN??? [/size]   :eek:    There's no chicken in chili!!!!!

Well, traditionally chicken is not used in "chile" but there is a version that is pretty good. It really is a thick hearty type of soup in stead of a true chile. It is called "white chile" and has become quite popular. I make it in the restaurant and people really love it. You basically leave out the chile powder and not very much tomatoes because you want to keep it white. Almost any kind of white bean would work and normally you should use only white chicken meat.

Here is a basic recipe:

diced onion
diced celery
diced carrots
diced tomatoes
Chicken broth
cooked white beans- great northerns or little whites
pulled chicken breast or cut in cubes
diced green chiles, Jalapano or serrano
Thyme
oregano
Salt and pepper
grated pepper jack cheese

Telos

Sorry, I forgot the cumin. Very important ingredient. It is basically a traditional "chile" recipe without anything to make it red or to darken it to much. I don't think beer would be good in it, either. I find this to be a little faster to make then regular chile.

With this said, "BEEF CHILE" is still the best IMO.

BIGTEX

Just for the record. It ain't Chili if it has beans in it. You can have a pot of beans also, but putting them in the chili is a sin. Pendry's  in Fort Worth has great spices and you can mail order them. There's a song by Tommy Alverson called "Chili Head" and the hook says"No Beans." My mom won the World Chili Cook-off in Terlingua in the '80's and they always used cubed Sirloin. So remember you call put beans in it but in ain't called Chili.

harley

I expect that the food channel will be calling soon with all the great recipe and cooking ideas on SP.  Logging on here hungry is dangerous, it's bound to trigger a cooking/eating binge!!  Gotta go make some "white chili" ....  :D

sawboss

Black Bean Soup
1 lb. ground venison
1 lb. ground pork (we use feral hog we catch or kill)
1 lb. smoked sausage
2 cans black beans, drained
1 can carrots, drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can rotel tomato
1 white onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 lb. bacon diced

Saute the onion, bell pepper and bacon until bacon is cooked, add venison and pork to brown.  I use Tony Cachere seasoning to taste.  When meat is cooked add remainder of contents with water and bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.
We serve with wild rice and a baker of cornbread.  Makes for a quick easy meal for deer camp or those nights that are busy.
P.S. For those that like more zest like me, top off your serving with Tobasco