Chopper

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

How is Chopper for calving ease?  See his actual BW must've been pretty high (95# adj.).

Is he an absolute no for heifers?

Thanks.

CCW

I have had 3 Chopper calves this year. 2 were around 80 lbs but had a 100 lb bull that was 4 days late and super stout. Cow he is out of his an older 7 FS 1700 lb Power Drive cow. He would have killed a heifer. She had him by herself. I have had cow 3 years and her last 2 calves were 75 lb heifers out of DHF Jades Dreamworks and Limestone Darkhorse. But this calf is the best calf she has had yet. I am pleased with all my Chopper calves but will ever use him on heifers. His calving ease number has went way down and my limited experience would agree.

mainecattlemother

I would be cautious.  We used him late spring 2010 as a recommendation of a buddy.  The heifer we bred to was a Wave on Wave.  The calf was 110lbs.  Was not pulled terribly hard but had major muscle I'm guessing from the heifer side.  It was a beautiful steer but we tried everything to get it too stand and were unsuccessful and the calf ended up passing on.  It really sucked because it was the only calf we lost last Spring.