Chris Cummings Steer brings 20K for the family!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

herfluvr

What a GREAT day!!  Chris' chi steer was auctioned off for 20,000 plus today.  The generosity of the the county AND the nation from the cattle community to the horse show world has been nothing short of amazing.  Not only was his story known in the cattle industry but the horse show world got wind of it also and they stepped up to send him to a number that left the family speachless.
As his steer entered the arena led by Sarah Ambers and Brandon Ames, the still crowded auction arena watched as the 4-H beef members started to raise thier hands to bid this steer up.  Jim Lestinsky auctioned and with each jump of 500.00 his voice echoed with anticipation for the next bid.  The kids waved like they were waving to an old friend.  The crowd could not believe the amount they were hearing.  As the final amount was neared the skys opened up with a rain that continued through the gavel fall and ended as the last name was read on the 4 page buyer list.  We all knew Chris was sending us happy tears from above. You could see his dad, mom and older brother Tom hold onto each other in disbelief.  His dad tried to speak but was overcome with emotion and his mom could only say they were speachless.  As the crowd stood in ovation, those of us there were witness to a life changing moment.  Channel 16 WNDU was there to interview as well as the papers.  In a world of sometimes less than inspiring stories, this was a site to behold.    I waited to see the steer head to the barn so I could say a few words to his dad.  Tom is a tall man and as I looked up into his eyes, for the first time I saw tears of loss and gratitude.  This money will help with the bills but as I told him,"it will never be enough" to get back just one hour with his son.  I told the family a son like him comes from people that have faith and love to share and I only hope my son, Brandon will remember what a sweet young man Chris was.  Chris will always own a piece of my heart and I will miss seeing his smile.  I will miss seeing him at those auctions he loved to attend.  I will miss watching him as he carefully blew out his herfords he loved so much.  I opened my eyes and learned there is so much more than a blue ribbon in a show pen.  So thanks Chris for showing us we need to love what we do, love the people around us and have passion to live each day for the things we love.

The fair started on his birthday and today was born a herford bull calf on his farm.  Life goes on but we sure will miss a good one.
Joni Ames 

Jace

What a great story! We all miss you here on SteerPlanet Chris! Say hello to Red for us!! (angel)

Show Heifer

Sarah and Brandon are also very bright spots in this story! Chris was lucky to have such friends!!  What a wonderful story to renew faith in people!

linnettejane

this brings me to tears...what an amazing event!!!  and a true testiment to chris' life... (angel)

thank you for sharing

shortdawg

Just thinking how many have been blessed by this young man. This tragedy has taught total strangers how to give of themselves by showing love and support to this family in their time of need. God Bless all of those that have helped in any way - your treasures will be waiting in Heaven right between Chris & Red.

ROAD WARRIOR

As a parent who has buried a child I can tell you that the efforts and thoughts behind this are worth many times over what the price of the steer was to Chris's parents. Job well done to all that were involved and I commend his parents for raising such an upstanding young man. RW

herfluvr

Here is a few more facts I left out. 

The fair started on is 19th birthday.  On sale day. Friday, a bull hereford calf was born to the Cummings farm before the sale.  They knew it was going to be soon as Chris had programmed the due dates into his phone and the phone keeps going off with reminders telling them when to watch a cow to calve and when to check a female for heat.

His mom was in his room and found a paper with all the bulls Chris wanted his herd bred too.  Not jsut for this year but for the next 3.  I was told it stated that if this cow haad a heifer calf that heifer calf was to be bred to this bull.  Now how many breeders have that kind of for-thought.  He was always thinking of his family and his herd.

DiamondS

What a truly amazing story....  Such a great young man that touched so many lives.  This certainly choked me up as I read it to my husband.  God bless all those that were involved.

lowann

ROAD WARRIOR said:
As a parent who has buried a child I can tell you that the efforts and thoughts behind this are worth many times over what the price of the steer was to Chris's parents. Job well done to all that were involved and I commend his parents for raising such an upstanding young man. RW

We buried a son too. Well said RW

herfluvr

lowann said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:

We buried a son too. Well said RW

I cannot imagine the pain in losing a child.  There was so much gratitude in the eyes of the family and I will say amazement for the support they have recieved.  It is a beautiful thing.  My sympathy on your loss.