Chubby Calves..

Help Support Steer Planet:

BadgerFan

I used to think there was a secret too, but now I'm convinced it's simply early maturing genetics, lots of feed and working hair a lot at a very young age.

mooch

BadgerFan said:
I used to think there was a secret too, but now I'm convinced it's simply early maturing genetics, lots of feed and working hair a lot at a very young age.
This is the correct answer

vet tech

mooch said:
BadgerFan said:
This is the correct answer
i second that

fed_champions

Alot of steer jocks like Kris Black, feed there cattle a very hot ration that forces baby calves to put on fat, making them appear fresher and more appealing for customers. This combined with the early maturing trend has made this possible. When we bought cattle we used to have to pull them off that hot feed as quick as possible, JMO, but i feel that this ration pushes the cattle to outgrow their structural makeup, causing the cripples that we are dealing with today.

kfacres

Pipo said:
Wouldn't this be hard on the cattle?

no overaging them doesn't hurt a bit... unless you get a frostbiten eared May.. then I bet she hurts... 

pooring it to them, or producing early maturing cattle may or may not hurt them.. it's in their genetics to be this way.

SSIMMENTALS

[/quote]

no overaging them doesn't hurt a bit... unless you get a frostbiten eared May.. then I bet she hurts... 

[/quote]

LOL. Frosty ears and a sunburn!! Ouch.