CIDR protocols

Help Support Steer Planet:

LN

Got a question for ya planeteers!

Today I noticed there are two different CIDR protocols for beef heifers. One is Lutalyse shot on day 6 and pull out CIDR day 7, and the other is Lutalyse and pull out CIDR day 7.

For the past couple years I've been using the first mentioned protocol with success. Just wondering what the difference is, if there is any.

jackpotcattle

I have been told that by giving the lut on day 6 and pulling on day 7 it tightens up the syncroniztion. we pretty much just use CIDR's for recips and use the extra shot of GnRh to sync them up tighter.

CAB

I think that the 1st protocol that you listed and have been using was the original way that was recommended, but I think that extra trip through the chute was a killer as far as most PPL were concerned. We have always pulled the cidr and given the shot the same day. We used estru-plan this year & felt that it was substantial better than lute in that we had hotter heats & a tighter group of cows to breed. Nothing scientific just my thoughts.

Bulldaddy

When setting up recips for eggs, we use the protocol you mention where you lutalyse on day 6 and pull CIDR on day 7.  It does tighten up the heats. If you are just AIing then giving the shot and pulling the CIDR on day 7 would work just fine.

HAFarm

We have always lut and pulled on the same day.  If you lut on day 6 and pull on 7 when will they come in heat on day 9 or 10?

LN

I use CIDRs on the heifers. I can understand the reasoning of not running them through the chute another day. Luckily that's not an issue with our facilities. I was just curious about the differences.

LN

HAFarm said:
We have always lut and pulled on the same day.  If you lut on day 6 and pull on 7 when will they come in heat on day 9 or 10?

I looked at some records from years past using CIDRs and all came in between 48 to 84 hrs later, with most at the 48 hrs.

OH Breeder

Here are ABS protocols I use. Sorry you have to open them as a PDF file.

Attachments

• CIDRs cow_protocols.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 156
  • CIDRS heifer_protocols.pdf
    220.8 KB · Views: 139

LN

OH Breeder said:
Here are ABS protocols I use. Sorry you have to open them as a PDF file.

I saw the same thing in my ABS catalog and that's what got me wondering. On the CIDR web site it has the Lut injection at day 6.