city folk and weaning

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

someone asked me at work about weaning today at work.

they said they saw a video where someone had 6 cows and they weaned the babies and sold them to mcdonalds.

she said the calves bawled and the mothers moo'ed.

she, and eventually others asked if this was necessary.

eventually it morphed into legislation to make weaning more humane.

try as i might, they were having none of it saying to leave producers alone and that it was inhumane to wean calves so they bawled.

they seemed interested that mcdonalds could buy weaned calves off the cow 6 at a time. ugh.

awesome.

frostback

We live close to a town but have great neighbours that in a sense just mind their own business, good old time neighbours that wave but dont stop by every weekend,  thank goodness. Never had a problem, a few years ago went very well at weaning and one asked if we ever did it as they never heard a thing.
But I have friends that live close(in) another town and they have to wean somewhere else as people call animal control everytime as the cow are crying. People want cheap safe food but have no idea how it happens. With this drought it may wake some people up. With all the irrigation water going to towns around here I wish it would wake some people up. These systems were dug and made for farmers years ago by farmers never intended to water peoples lawns.

travisrex

City folk truely amaze me at times, it's like they pull their head out of the sand every once in a while and say "Hey, what's going on around here? You shouldn't do it that way. I know more than you." Absolutely ridiculous.

frostback

I bet these were highly "educated" people too, it amazes me that the more some learn from a book the more common sense they lose, or did they ever have any?

okiegirl

A lady we know is outraged over the fact that our show calves are in a dark cool room all day and only come out at night.  Hello, our big steer is so coddled it's almost embarassing.  He has better grooming products than I do, gets about $4.00 a day in supplements alone, and gets rinsed, combed and dryed twice a day.  I take him treats everytime I go to the barn.  Reality, he gets his head cut off in Oct, but we'll love him while we got him. 

Example of a "city slicker".  My husband's grandfather remarried and they took on a bottle calft steer.  When we sold steers last month, Skeeter got a tag in his ear and is eating grass that some cow would benefit from.  I just keep chewing my tongue to keep from starting world war III.

obie105

These are probably the same people that their kids are running around with their pacifiers at age 3. Ask them if they still use a bottle. Everything gets weaned at some point or another.

GoWyo

Keep working hard to educate people who have lost contact with agriculture.  All of our futures in agriculture depend on it.  <cowboy>

knabe

obie105 said:
These are probably the same people that their kids are running around with their pacifiers at age 3. Ask them if they still use a bottle. Everything gets weaned at some point or another.

hah, a lady at work just weaned her 3-year old off breasts.

RidinHeifer

Last year a friend had the humane society called on him for inhumane weaning.  The person that did it was a friend of theirs...only house within a mile or two of the pasture.  The society came out and inspected everything and gave him the fenceline weaning lecture...when they got done he told them he'd be than happy to fenceline wean when they paid for the fence and bought him enough space to put 110 cows and 110 calves in the same place.  (lol) (lol)

Steve123

We found the best way to wean was to take the calves away from the cows at the pasture and haul the calves about six miles away to the home place.  Cows stay around the corral for about 1 day and bawl, calves at the home place about the same. If they don't hear an answer they bawl alot less. Only mistake we made one year was driving everything to the home place, working all the cows and calves and then hauling the cows back to the pasture. Over the next several days they all came back and every neighbor between called to say they had one in a pen or they were in their field. Lots of tore-up fences to.

trevorgreycattleco

I have neighbors all around me. The older folks could care less. The newbies are the ones complaining. I've never been reported yet. My  cattle aren't pampered but by god they are givin every chance to thrive. The older I get the more I get annoyed with city people. It's all Desperate Housewives and The Bachelor. God help us all if society ever breaks down and all the idiots come out of the cities like a tsunami. Ugh. I need more bullets.

J2F

Saw this on fb and seem to fit the topic. 

Attachments

• SC20120726-221358.png
    SC20120726-221358.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 310

heatherleblanc

My personal favorite is when people tell me that show cattle are abused.  Are you kidding me!?
They are spoiled! 
They eat before we eat, and are literally pampered.

I think what bugs me the most is that people don't take the time to understand OUR sides of the story, they hear about one case of animal cruelty, and assume that that is how ALL animals are treated.

J2F

XYZ said:
My personal favorite is when people tell me that show cattle are abused.  Are you kidding me!?
They are spoiled! 
They eat before we eat, and are literally pampered.

I think what bugs me the most is that people don't take the time to understand OUR sides of the story, they hear about one case of animal cruelty, and assume that that is how ALL animals are treated.
What bugs me is they do it with a burger in one hand, 20 pounds over weight and complain about the price at the grocery store in the next sentence!  :mad:City people should stay in the city.. I don't come to your work and tell you your doing it wrong!