CITY PEOPLE

Help Support Steer Planet:

AAOK

dragon lady said:
AAOK said:

>22 WAYS TO BE A GOOD DEMOCRAT
>

>Ready to vote???

OK - I'll be a pill - I don't think that this is really appropriate here - I don't like it when people gang email this sort of stuff to me and I like it even less when it is copied and pasted on the board -I also don' t like the great lump of all humanity into one big preconcieved hunk and  I really don't like to be preached at - JMO and no I am not in a bad mood - if it was under a heading that said what it was I would have ignored it but there it was in my face hard to ignore  :( :eek: ???

Sorry DL(any everyone else).  I never meant to offend.  I just saw it as humorous, and painfully accurate.  Also, I'm sure no preacher, but as a member of God's Kingdom, I do try to carry out my mission assigned by Jesus.

In His grip,
Dan

knabe

back to the original post emphasis.  we don't interract with enough city people.  learn how to be ambassador's and maintain a positive outlook in the face of adversity.  most city people want restrictions on land, where we get our food,supply chain etc.  i work on a resource conservation district and we put out a "farm tour" of producers who sell directly to the public every year and target city dwellers.  the people who attend are not your typical eco-freak clothes wearing SPF protection to the max ex commune, now google excecutives.  they are a broad spectrum of people who are interested in supporting local ag, generally intelligent, inquisitive, etc.  some purchase at the farms during the tour, some repeats at local farmer markets.  i even help slaughter chickens once in a while for a local range chicken guy who farms them underneath his very sweet and not bitter walnuts that are absolutely delicious.

for the absolute BEST apricots in your entire life, try the slip apricots at

http://www.brfarms.com/

hopefully you will be embarrassed to never purchase the lighter shaded apricots from turkey again, and no, not for political reasons, just taste.

knabe

every feel like ag is the farm kid playing banjo in deliverance when talking to city folks?

shorthorns r us

knabe said:
every feel like ag is the farm kid playing banjo in deliverance when talking to city folks?

That seems a bit unfair.  There are lots of guys and gals out there that could do everything that Hook did on TV.  Just like every other population in the world, ag has grain and chaff.  Where we run into problems is when the chaff runs its mouth.  That is where the embarrassment comes in.  A very well known figure in the show cattle world was a TV reporter several years ago.  He was trained to find the deliverance characters.  The fewer teeth and more tobacco stained the better.  As unfortunate as it is, therein lies the entertainment and the only information most urbanites get about ag and the rural population.  When the I-40 bridge collapsed over the Arkansas River at Webbers falls, which is a SMALL ag community, in 2002, several of the folks from that town were humiliated about the image given to all residents by the interviews of the chaff.  Throw in the other stories they see on TV about animal abuse, unsafe food, livestock disease and government funded farming.  Can you blame them for their opinions?  To top it all off, when we interact with urbanites, we become obstinate.  Like what sjcattle has in his signature, "Never argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."  In this case, they aren't necessarily idiots; they are ignorant.  I don't use that term in a derogatory way; I use it to mean uneducated.  We must get better at communicating with our customers.  If Wal-mart treated you the same way we treat our ultimate consumers, would you have a positive image of Wal-mart.  Not that Wal-mart is perfect; I chose them solely because they are the world's largest retailer.  Feel free to substitute any business for Wal-mart; maybe your favorite feed store, local coffee shop, gas station or calf breeder/seller.  WE MUST EDUCATE THEM IN PRACTICAL WAYS and we must deliver on their terms.  Like it or not, they will not listen to you wearing boots and a hat.  I have published evidence of this, which I can't find to put in the link.  We think we look nice; they think we look like YOSEMITE SAM.  That is their perception; therefore, that is their reality.  Personally, I think some of their fashion looks goofy.  I have worked in most of our country's largest cities with people who think milk comes from the store.  In those years, I got pretty good at educating them.  The trick is to remember that they think you cannot possibly be as smart as them.  This applies to almost everyone.  Many of you reading this think that you are the smartest person in your peer group and you may be.  Most of you reading this are thinking, at this very moment, that you are smarter than me and you are probably right; but, it doesn’t matter here; I just want to make an urbanite’s perception known.  My challenge to you is to look at these situations from their point of view.  A different perspective can go a long way.

knabe

SRU, i am agreeing with you 100%  my only point with the metaphor is exactly what you mention, their perception.  if you remember in the movie, after they quit playing instruments, everything was back to normal, their viewpoint of the boy, his family etc.  i mean that the visiting characters were equally chaffy, and you are correct, their perception is reality, so find out what it is first before we start to change their minds.  i am an urbanite.  arguing  is always ineffective, just look at the precanned democrat vs republican format in both elections and "informed" panels on television and radio.  we gravitate to the controversy, rather than the content.  good post.