Cleaning Out Semen Inventory

Help Support Steer Planet:

bpwagner115

Semen tank is filling up with more and more and wondering what to do with some older stuff? Found a few canes of SAV priority (Angus) and MSU Revolution (Hereford). Looks like both are deceased but I don’t really have a use for them. How do I find an outlet or maybe there isn’t one? Thanks in advance.

PCJR21

After my mess this year of trying the old stuff and getting calves that we’re to big and bad structured, I was given some good advice.

“Don’t be afraid to throw that shit on the ground”

idalee

There is usually a very good reason this old semen hangs around in tanks.  That is because it came from bulls who didn't perform as expected.  Not to say that the odd calf couldn't be an eye-popper but most would probably disappoint.  Best to leave it in the tank and hope somebody is fooled into buying or just junk it as another has suggested. 

simba

Old doesn’t always equal bad. I don’t know anything about the SAV bull but I think it would be a mistake to dump the Revolution semen. He’s homo polled, known for great females and good numbered.

It would at least be worth listing it on the Steer Planet classifieds and applicable facebook groups. We’ve also sold semen that we weren’t going to use to neighbours with commercial cows that just wanted something different. It sure beats throwing away money.

knabe

expecting a homo polled animal to perform like a homo horned animal is not a good conclusion.

not sure if that's part of the equation here.

mark tenenbaum

Tuff getting a response on SP Classified right now with all  the valuable and exciting Guernsey ,Beefmaster,Wagu cattle etc  from downtown LA and Miami Beach Maybe E-mail those dorks a list so they can attempt to steal your Identity O0

Lucky_P

How about semen from these two Shorthorn sires... any value or demand?
Rob Sneed '034' - ASA #4078267
ArSuLu MacKenzie - ASA #3880557

Dispersed our entire herd last fall, have consigned all the Simmental semen to various sales, but still have some semen on these two SHs in the neighbor's tank... would like to see it go somewhere where it might be put to use...

Dale

Sneed's 034 should have some value.  Sue, here on Steerplanet, might know what it is worth.

Lucky_P

Dale,
I'm sure it's not high-$ stuff; bought them when Sue was handling the Sneed semen dispersal - and she may still have a bunch on hand, IDK.   
Like bpwagner, I was just curious as to whether there was any demand for it at all... since we dispersed, I no longer have any use for it. 
SP is about the only place I know where anyone would have any interest in Shorthorn semen. I liked what we got with most of the SH sires we used... but the commercial market in my area wasn't receptive.