Cleaning up a steers neck

Help Support Steer Planet:

kyfarmgirl10

I was wondering if there was any natural ways you all knew about how to clean up the crest on a steer. I know the most correct way would be to implant the steer but the owners of the steer are against implant hormones  ::) any way i figured a neck sweat would probably be the only option but wanted to see if there any other options

Bradenh

implanting makes them worse in the front 1/3. that would not be good for a trashey calf. we go with the trash bag/saran wrap neck sweats and they work for us. not sure what else you could do considering its a genetic fault in the calf. sweat it off is about it

kyfarmgirl10

This calf isn't trashy fronted at all he just has a little more crest then desired no extra leather in his front 1/3... I didnt know if a neck sweat would help trim the crest down or not

Bradenh

oh well i mean the implant still wouldnt help. the neck sweat may not either if it is above that neck. up on the crest. could be worth a try

SRC

ss95....how do you use the trash bag and saran wrap sweats? ...do you just wrap it up then throw a trash bag over that, or do you put on any kind of oil on the skin with the saran wrap?

Bradenh

we use the hot sweat lotion. and yeah we just wrap the bag and saran wrap around their neck. we know alot of ppl that put a bag/wrap and then put the real sweat collar on over that. and that will clean a neck bigtime. but it also takes hair if you leave it on very long

SRC

right on, thanks. What's your personal routine as far as sweats on a daily basis? (when do you put them on, and how long do you leave them etc.)

rasor club calves

neck sweat and when u r clipping the neck take T-84's (my prefrence)and run them right in the middle were each side meets, level on each sideso from the profile it looks alot cleaner.

Bradenh

SRC said:
right on, thanks. What's your personal routine as far as sweats on a daily basis? (when do you put them on, and how long do you leave them etc.)
if you are talking about me. we put them on in the morning and take them off when we feed in the evening. then we wash the oil off of their necks. we do it 3 days on, one day off, then 3 days on. ect

frostback

kyfarmgirl10 said:
I was wondering if there was any natural ways you all knew about how to clean up the crest on a steer. I know the most correct way would be to implant the steer but the owners of the steer are against implant hormones  ::) any way i figured a neck sweat would probably be the only option but wanted to see if there any other options

If he is really cresty anyway a testicle was missed? Had one at our fair that after weigh in they found it. Is he bullish acting at all.

kyfarmgirl10

He isnt really obsessivly cresty just a little more than desired i'll post pictures of him tomorrow.. his owners are just wanting the see if there any options to reduce the crest... yeah we had a reatained testicle steer one year and this guy definently isnt that :)