Help Support Steer Planet:

Who you got?

• John Wayne

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Clint Eastwood

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

chambero

John Wayne without question, although I'd having a hard time picking a better No. 2 than Clint.

Favorite John Wayne Movie - The Cowboys - those kids got really hacked off when John got killed.

Favorite Clint Eastwood Movie - Outlaw Josey Wales:  makes you want to chew tobacco just so you could spit like that.

knabe

ditto on josie wales

hondo for john wayne, one of the few openly thought provoking movies he was in.

clint is full of moral equivalence to counter his harry days, and in doing so, has alienated, rather than brought together people.

also, wayne had herefords.

chambero

I wasn't in cub/boy scouts very long but my standing memory of it is being at cub scout day camp the day John Wayne died.  There was a big ceremony I still vividly remember.  I was probably about 7 or 8.

JbarL

i guess watchin "rowdy" grow up on rawhide.....herdin' an all....then kickin..' butt..in cowboy boots and tennis shoes alike.............. i'd have to go with c/wood....i  think he could take the duke......jbarl

Doc

chambero said:
John Wayne without question, although I'd having a hard time picking a better No. 2 than Clint.

Favorite John Wayne Movie - The Cowboys - those kids got really hacked off when John got killed.

Favorite Clint Eastwood Movie - Outlaw Josey Wales:  makes you want to chew tobacco just so you could spit like that.
Ditto on The Duke. The Cowboys is my favorite also, I'll watch it a couple times a year.

afhm

Gotta go with The Duke.  He was a fellow show cattle enthusiast with a string of Herefords.  I'll tell you I would have to put way up in the ranks is Val Kilmer just for his portrayal of Doc Holiday in Tombstone he makes the movie just like Robert Duvall's Gus in Lonesome Dove.  Another one I would have high is Sam Elliot.

ROAD WARRIOR

John Wayne without a doubt - an American icon with out question. Seems like that since Clint did the bridges of Madison county he has gotten too politically correct for me. Sam Elliot would be my second choice, after all he is the voice that people hear representing the beef industry on the radio. AFHM - I have the lonesome dove movie on CD and watch it whenever there is nothing on either of the two channels that I get here. Robert Duvall was excellent in the movie and I think that maybe Tommy Lee Jones may have given his best performance ever in this movie. I wish they would go back to making movies like that now, might give us old cowboys something to relate to instead of the crap they produce now.

Joe Boy

My hobby is watching old westerns.  When we got married we went to the drive-in movie and watched all the spaghetti movies.  I could not pick.....between the two as they are tops.

Acting is better today than years ago but they leave lots to your personal thoughts in the old movies rather than being so graphic today.

VAL was great!

Tom Sellic (sp) and Sam Elliot are great too.

cowz

Absolutely the Duke!  Maybe he would still be with us if not for filming the "Conquerers" in the 1950's.  Somewhere around 90 of the 200 people on the film crew at the Escalante Valley, in Southern Utah developed cancer.  Here is a little clip:

John Wayne died of stomach cancer on June 11, 1979 in Newport Beach, California, and was interred in the Pacific View Memorial Park cemetery in Corona del Mar, Orange County, California. Some trace his cancer back to his work in The Conqueror, filmed about 100 miles downwind of Nevada nuclear-weapons test sites. However, it should also be noted that until 1964 Wayne was a chain smoker, which was more likely to have caused his cancer. Other actors who worked on that movie and later died of cancer were also heavy smokers, including Dick Powell, Agnes Moorehead and Susan Hayward.

John Wayne had a beatiful ranch in northern Arizona, the "26 Bar", had herefords.  He partnered with Tom Chauncey who later sold the ranch to the Hopi Tribe.

Liked Clint in Outlaw Josey Wales and in the Bridges of Madison County.

chambero

Don't forget Ben Johnson for" best supporting actor".

Tom Selleck is up there also.

None better than Lonesome Dove (Gus really knows how to pistol whip someone and I never want a beating with a branding iron).

Sacketts are great (books + the miniseries).

I loved the old How the West was Won with James Arness also.

jason

How many times would you hear of something like this today....

"When America's involvement in World War II began, Duke tried to enlist but was rejected due to a combination of an old football injury, his age (he was 34), and his married, father of four status. Duke was so dejected he even flew to directly to Washington to ask to be allowed to join the Navy - but was turned down.

Since he couldn't go fight abroad, he decided to do his part at home, and dedicated himself to the war effort by making inspirational war films - including 1942's "Flying Tigers", and 1945's "Back to Bataan". To all Americans, he became the true symbol of the American fighting man."

John%20Wayne%20photo.jpg