Clippers for Beginners

Help Support Steer Planet:

mandi_a97

Hey yall, back with more questions. What clippers would you recommend for beginners? I'm wanting to learn how to trim a calf's hair properly and I figure that starts with having the proper equipment. I've heard that Andis is a really good brand, however, I'm not sure what style to choose. Any advice would help, thanks!

WinterSpringsFarm

Many many years ago I switched from a pair of osters to a pair of andis clippers and I thought they were the best. Been at least 12yrs ago, I'll see if I can dig them up and get a model #

shortybreeder

I am a beginner as well, and I love my Andis Excel 5 speed! A 2 speed would also be good, but where I got mine they were the same price. They can come with different blades, I would recommend getting the clipper package with the medium blending blade because that is one of the major blades you should have.

GoWyo

You can save $30 just by paying attention to the blades included with the Andis clipper, whether they be 2-speed, 5-speed or whatever.  Like Shortybreeder said, buy the one that comes with the medium blending (or the super blocking) blade because you will need both of those blades.

GoWyo

Check Sullivans and other online sellers.  Sometimes there are promos.  Check for used reconditioned ones with Sullivans and others if you don't want to buy new (I have a pair I bought from a Steer Planet member several years ago that are still working well).  Personally, for the $150 or so for Super 2-speed or $200 for 5-speed, I would just buy new given the number of years we have used them.