Clipping front ends

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

We have a hereford heifer we will be showing in a month and my question is should I wait till right before the show and just clip her front end and blend it In with the rest if her body or take a pair of flat heads and shave down her from end and let it grow back and then shape it ? I've seen people shave them down a month or so before a show and it grows back and looks pretty good but not sure of it's the thing to do for a show this time of year or not

hsShowCattle

Personally I clip a couple days before the show and blend the front into the rest. and show day I do any touch ups needed.  I'm not by any means a professional clipper, or that what I do is right.  Its just the way I do it.  Good luck.

OH Breeder

Here is what I know about RED and WHITE animals. They are the least forgiving animal coats to clip. We clip the red one's early because EVERY nick or mistake shows like a sore thumb. If you clip them tighter and make mistakes gives yourself 2 weeks for it to grow out. If you need to clean them up you can and use a blade that is more forgiving.