Clipping help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ruchian

I want to get better at clipping.  Any advice would be nice.  Also what are some good videos and clinics other than Stierwalt's?

shortyjock89

Practice until you think that you would like nothing more than to never hold a pair of clippers again..and then clip some more.  I've never been big on the videos, and I've never had alot of big time help.  Just keep at it, and it will come. 

Jill

Ruchian said:
I want to get better at clipping.  Any advice would be nice.  Also what are some good videos and clinics other than Stierwalt's?

I'm not big on video's, I think they talk you through the basics, but don't really give you enough hands on instruction.  What we did with my nephew was had our professional fitter teach him everything and in exchange he worked for him for no pay at shows, it was a great opportunity and worked out for both of them.

renegade

I would also like to get good at clipping but i dont really have enough animals (that arent showing) to practice and not worry about messing them up.  I can get some of the very basic stuff done on my own but nothing great. I would like to meet a pro fitter but havent met any yet...i'll keep looking though

Ruchian

I would rather get someone to teach me in person but there aren't that many professional fitters in my area.  We have a good sized show but Oregon just isn't that big of a show state.

Malinda

Ruchian,

I have learned more about clipping by sitting on a showbox and watching the good fitters work. Then ask a lot of questions.....Why did you clip heifer A's underline differently than heifer B? Why did you clip one's top one way and the other top a little differently?

The biggest problem I see with some fitters is that they do all cattle generically; they clip everything just alike. You need to figure out what is wrong with your animal and try to fix it with clippers. Not a great top? Go to work with the clippers to make it look better. Not a clean, extended neck? Grab those clippers. Rough shoulders? Use the clippers to make the shoulder look smoother. Remember that clipping is no more than creating an optical illusion. I had a heifer a few years ago that we clipped and clipped and she just didn't look right. We finally took about 1/4 inch off her underline and she looked like a different animal.

Nothing beats experience. Start early so the hair will grow back when you have those 'oops' moments with the clippers.

It will take time and do not get discouraged. You did not learn to walk, write or spell without a lot of time and those 'oops' moments. Clipping is just one more of those things that takes time and determination.

Good luck and hang in there.

Malinda

Malinda

Ruchian,

I just took a look at the picture of your steer. Please email me and I will give you some specifics on clipping him that might help.

Remember, I am not a professional fitter, heck I only rough mine out and let someone else do the fine tuning. But, I think I can help you out some.

My email: [email protected]

Malinda